chapter 27 | reflection

“Who the hell is Celeste?” Miska subtly backhanded Quinn's biceps for his outburst

“Who the hell is Celeste?” Miska subtly backhanded Quinn's biceps for his outburst. “Naw, I don’t like it. Why do her eyes look like that?”

“Good question.” Bora turned his attention to her. “What did you do to my mate?” He bucked her, but I held his arm.

“We agreed to this.” I eyed the witch. “I’m sure she’s going to tell us.”

“I did.” She raised her arms with praise. “Gemma, as you call her, once was a werewolf who is now a reincarnated pest. Why? It could be a curse. Or maybe she went against the laws of nature to become this in this day and age.” Her disgust was plain. “Your views are the eyes of Celeste, a celestial soul.”

“How is that possible?” This is news I can’t swallow.

“For a second, you thought he would be with a human?”

“Too far, lady,” he stepped up. “That human almost cost you your life.” I felt the air from his point with words of death rolled off his tongue as though he was ready to do it right then. “Nothing has changed since then.”

“We shall see when the taste of blood is on your lips.” Her laugh echoed louder this time. Soon, you will embody your true self. In the meantime, a promise is a promise the Seven Shadows lurk across the Americas, concealed by sin. Where they hold them in high esteem, whether from the North or the South. Their leader has become busy since discovering you are alive and working with your father. He is coming up with a scheme, I suppose. Are you afraid? Or has revenge pus up on your mind? Haha.”

“You worthless gap witch. You’re not telling us anything?”

“Aren’t you a wet nose mutt? Use that thing that bulges from your face.”

“Excuse you.”

“Okay, we’ll take it from here.” My hands on his chest guiding him towards the door.

“Leaving so soon? But I’ve prepared for your stay. Bless me one more night with your grace.” Her twinkling eyes fall on me with a calm, grateful smile. I gazed at everyone for their approval, but they all looked at me for an answer. Strange. For the first time, I felt like a lead-

“Gemma, your decision.” Bora locked fingers with me, staring at me with those mandarine eyes. Nothing about him changed, just me.

“Sure.” We followed her to the guest cabin. Her house has beautiful, earthy wooden walls and ceiling flowers hanging. When I think of witches, I think of gloom and mystery. But not her. It is as though she is one with the earth that faces the stars. Butterflies and Luna moths are everywhere, flying in my hair.

Bora and I found our room. He turns the knob. “It is best you sleep apart” The witch stands at the end of the hall.

“Why is that?” He rejects the thought.

“It’s fine.” I placed my palm on his chest, requesting him to give up the fight. It is a useless argument. Whatever she did to us, it may be good to listen. He exhales. “I’ll see you in the morning.” I greeted his cheek, but he gripped my chin and brought me to his lips.

He leaned into my ear. “I will miss you.” He kissed my hand and left at the door, strolling along the hall toward the witch as she stared at me.

Who is she? “What is your name? I don’t think you told us.”

“Vine.” Her rotten smile beamed.

” Her rotten smile beamed