Chapter 31 | my place

“Hold on

“Hold on. Aren't we forgetting something?” Que hopped off the counter. “The witch claims she woke up from some celestial ancient thing inside of her.” He faced me. “Besides your eyes changing color, don't you feel different?” 

“I don't. I feel the same.” 

“Sigh. We're fucked.” 

The sound of slapping meat stung us all. “Quinn!” Malinda didn't hesitate to clap his arm a few more times.

“Alright. Alright.” He swatted her away, massaging his shoulder. “But come on. I am just thinking. I mean, I don't care what you all say, but there is no way a nerd from the suburbs can wrestle an oversized fantasy wolverine from the north pole. That is a death sentence.” 

“Maybe. It's not impossible.” Carina chimed in, flushing from the lavatory. “Nice water hole, by the way.” She paper towel her hands dry. 

“It's called a toilet for the 100th time.” My brother corrected her. 

“So anyway.” She ignored him and he threw his body to the right, annoyed. “I fought with her before, learning she is not an ordinary human. For sure it was amateur hour, but she slashed my stomach. Your kind can not easily cut through our dense fur.” She waved her deer jerky stick at me. 

I snatched it, took a bite, easing down into a seat while I bear reality, handing it back to her. She glanced at it, lips pushed back. “Bora showed me how easy it was when you challenged me. He forced me to cut his palm to prove a point and you're saying no human should be able to do that?” 

She hunched her shoulders and bit her jerky. “Precisely.” Her mouth was full. “So he knew who you were, somehow.”

“He never really said anything about it.” 

“He could have known by instinct and couldn't comprehend it himself. That's probably what attracted him to you. The magnetic pull of longing curiosity and then instant connection.”

“Yeah, but Quinn is right. I have no powers. She is stronger than me with murdering instincts. I never fought in my life. That alone gives her a higher advantage because my instinct is to duck and hide.” 

“Humans are exceptional hunters. Did you forget what your kind is capable of? Look at your dad. It's in you.”

She’s right. He was quite impressive, but that is something I would never say out loud. How did he track Bora for a decade without being caught or sniffed out? Perhaps I can practice while I'm on the field searching for the shadows. This should give me enough time to work on myself and get us back together. The RV stopped and everyone looked at me. The same sheep gaze for answers as they did early when listening to my snow wolf. “I don’t know? We have some issues to work on like this stupid curse from the Neverlands.” 

The door opened, and he stood there in silence, leaving me confused. I veered back at everyone around and then at him. His eyes depleted, staring at me. “Woman. Should I say it? Come here.” The sound of his tone raised something inside me straight from hell.

Quinn leaned off the counter, and I halted at him to chill. I lessened into a squint, testing Bora's patience to get a reaction, but nothing. So I flat out said, “no.”

“Your head has always been hard, but it made a soft ass.” I dropped my jaw in disbelief that came out of his mouth. Kind of amused, but shocked, maybe turned on just a hinge. 

I scratched my widow peak and took my time to walk to the top step as he lowered to be face to face with me. “What?” I sassed that out as much as I could to get on his nerves for that statement. 

“I’m surprised. You actually came.” 

“That was earlier, sweetness. Now, what do you want?” 

“I sense one of them in the city. I wanted to see if you needed anything before we head there.” His care for me urges me to bend, but I won't. We are upset with each other. The last thing I need is to be swept away with a tiny kind gesture. I am not cheap. “There's a full moon tonight.” he slapped me with what I love. 

“So.” 

“Maybe if you look up drenched in tears for not blinking, you can turn.” 

I moved him to the side to take a step down from. I look up. “You don't like my human?” I expressed an innocent seduction, tossing my hair to the side to expose the mark he left behind. 

He rubbed across his wet lips, gazing at me. “If you need nothing. Then I should go.” 

I broke character to mask the pain in my heart. “Perhaps we could detour into a small town and find clothes, food we’re running low on, and other necessities for she-wolves.” 

“And?”

“There is no, and. Anyway, goodnight. I need some rest. Wake me when we arrive.” 

“As you wish.” He left, closing the door behind him. 

Everyone was to themselves most of the way there, as I took this chance to rest, snacking on the last piece of my subway sandwich. Why the city? Nothing but humans belong to the streets of Downtown Dallas, yet we are heading there because of them. City wolves they must be, but my mate hates the crowds. It is diabolical, sinful behavior is what he stresses because the wilderness is his comfort area, and being taken out of his element must be tiresome for him.