chapter 15 | heading home

"Polar bear's scent? In Colorado?" On second thought, I may need to reconsider bringing her along

"Polar bear's scent? In Colorado?" On second thought, I may need to reconsider bringing her along. "Don't you see that is a tad bit obvious?"

"The modern-day wolves in Colorado get shipments of polar bear meat as a delicacy. In case you didn't know. There is a secret society in Alaska that farms them. They will think you are just a delivery truck passing through town. Isn't that how you lived?" The disappointment spewing from her eyes. 

"No, I didn't." I moved ahead of her. That famine thing I ran across a few weeks ago. He should be dead by now. Hunting top predators is a crime against shapeshifters. They can't stand a chance against a shapeshifter, and knowing these truths is self-explanatory. We do not bother them. She thinks that is the life I live. They know humans are nothing but destruction. However, she is unaware that the woman I chose is different.

We separated, tracking the ice bear's scent through the snow that wandered this range. It will be impossible for him to catch me off guard this time. Though I hope it is dead. I hate the act of defeating something that can barely defend itself.

"Here!" Miska pointed behind a boulder. Woolly and I trotted to her. There he was, starved out. It died a couple of hours ago. Poor guy. His fur is still in good condition. "Do you want me to skin him?"

"I will do it." 

"We can camp here while you work. I brought supplies." She dropped the sack on the snow and an insulated wooden container. "If you do this quickly, we could reach Colorado in a week by boat to Washington state and then spend approximately seven days on foot."

"That will take too long." I situated the bear. "There is a much faster route." I began the center cut from the anus, right up the sternum to gut it. Woolly winces as I pull out the entrails. "You've never done this before?" I looked at him.

"I leave it to the special non-regurgitated bellies that can handle it." I keep my face neutral with that statement. "Let your woman know where your hands have been, okay?" 

I cracked a smile, rubbing my forearm across my cheek to hide my laugh. "I will." I couldn't stop showing my amusement.

Miska rolled her eyes. "How does she eat if she can't kill an animal?" 

"I guess the same way Woolly eats." She smacked her lips, vexed by my response.

"Luckily, we have a team for this," he said, shaving a stick to start a fire in the snow. "So, are we eating it?"

"Nah, leave it for the animals. She brought meals for us." 

After a few hours, I was done with everything required. It's kind of unfortunate. It might be ruined by the time we reach CO. This forty degree weather should preserve it as much as possible. I folded the fur, skins to skin, tucked it, and shoveled snow into Miska's insulated wood container. When I touch Colorado soil, I will wear it, and hopefully, it is still in good condition. I can finish and gift wrap it to give to Gemma.