chapter 39 | in time

Ike transformed into a ghoul gremlin, plunging out of his face

Ike transformed into a ghoul gremlin, plunging out of his face. He roared, unhinged, sweeping Boras hairline from his forehead while banging his chest. The air grew heavy and faded him out by a roaring thick vortex from a distance as our attention went there. Cage hangs out of the opening on the landing stick with a crude smirk. Ike took off in a flash as Bora followed swiftly through the rooftop.

They race, leaping onto the next one as Ike heads straight for the copter. He leaped through the air and was caught by Cage. Bora stops at the edge, calculating the distance between him and the helicopter to make the jump. A whistle pierced the air for his attention. He rose to face his enemy that beckons a warning sign it's too late. The copter was long gone but Bora ensured the hunt was on. Doing a casual salute, ending it with a point as he watched them on their way as the sun peaks behind the chopper.

"In time." I stepped on the side of Bora as I gave him a warm smile.

"You know I really hate them."

"Yeah. Me too."

He wrinkled his brows and looked at me in disbelief. "You okay!" He embraced me in a hug.

"Yeah. I don't know what happened. One second I was weak and then the next I was healed." I embraced him closer.

"You're so strong." He squeezed and paused.

I brushed his hair back. "What's wrong?"

He went in tune with me, concerned. "Are you sure?"

I removed his hands. "'I'm fine." The last thing I want is to be viewed as a weak human.

The sadness formed creases around his mouth, his hands are fidgety seeming to have a lot on his mind. "I hated how I treated you." His honesty was confirmation that he knew what was transpiring in his dark prison.

"It wasn't you. I mean, maybe in that lifetime but not now."

He lowered his head and gently pulled me close. "You don't have to be strong anymore."

"What? Where did that come from?"

He squeezed me in once more and released my back, walking towards the edge to look out into the ongoing traffic. "He was right."

"About what?" My heart froze at that moment. "You think I am a useless human too?"

"What?" He broke his neck to face me. "No! I was saying he's right about me being weak. You had to save me too many times. And this is not you being a woman. I haven't been a good leader. I lost control. I got captured, and turned into a beast I couldn't control. My journey to this point has been careless. You deserve much more than my incompetence. Everyone sees the potential in me but if I don't get it together. I won't be good to anyone."

"I think you are being hard on yourself." I wrapped my arms around his waist from the back to give him comfort. And rest my head between his shoulder blades. "Every life's journey is a learning experience. It should be taken as an opportunity to grow. Don't beat yourself up because I don't regret being there for you. I'll go it all over again if I can."

A deep sigh exhaled as he relaxed his back. "You're right."

"Ay yo!" My brother yelled across the lot. "You two on a break or what?" The crew walked up with easy going smiles.