chapter 36 | out of the woodwork

We barged into a sophisticated minimalist office suite, papers gliding, chairs flipped, and desks turned over; it seemed we were late for the party

We barged into a sophisticated minimalist office suite, papers gliding, chairs flipped, and desks turned over; it seemed we were late for the party. All we need is a sparkling championship and go-go dancers. "What in the name of heaven and hell has happened here?" My eyes took a glance around the room. Miska had her boot pinned to a man's throat that was half her size.

"I guess being civil was out of the question." Quinn stepped into the calm chaos as our crew had everyone sustain. Malinda hemmed up a guy in a standing arm lock. Adam and Xannon stood behind the man Miska tacked to the headrest of the chair. "Yo! This is like a scene from The Godfather! Revenge is a dish best served cold." My brother held his chest in a subtle, dramatic Broadway performance with one hand in his pocket.

"What is that accent? Shakespeare?"

Quinn cooly snorted with a laugh. "Yeah. I had to put my twist on it."

"Nutcase."

Carina morphed side-eyeing Qu. "You take nothing seriously, do you?"

"It's my coping mechanism." He seemed so sure of himself.

"Right."

A few glances, wandering around the area and I could not help but notice only some of us were here. He is still missing in action? He ran off into the woods to avoid me. Now what? This is his fight. That damn witch hindered our mission. She regresses him more of a burden on himself than it is helpful. It's good that I am myself or we would both be lost. "So, who is part of the Seven?" The men in the room were hard to differentiate. I couldn't tell if they were supernatural or what.

"This guy!" Miska pressed harder as he choked out a cough. "What is your name for the last time?"

"Ike!" He coughed up spit. "For Christ's sake."

"What is your filiation with Bora?" She twisted his wrist.

"Damn, that's hot," Quinn's gaze fixed on her.

Carina vaguely mugged him. "Down boy."

Quinn teasingly spotted her with a smile. "Jealous."

"Maybe." She gave him the same energy.

"Right." He cut his eyes. Sheesh, what's up with that? These two. Miska was probing the guy. She did not even notice.

"Okay, listen, listen." Ike threw his hands in the air. "I didn't touch him. We were following Cage's orders. If I knew that kid would have survived, I would have jetted out of here."

"Why run?" She twisted his arm more and watched the baby cry, drip to the floor. I bet those whines did not stop them from murdering him. It is all an act. Only the worst to imagine what Bora endured alone, hunted down, and left in the cold like an eaten-alive carcass—cursing him from his grace, dishonoring his body in the open air. Mother Nature had the decency to cover him with snow. More poise than this idiot.

"Ah, jab him in the neck." I waited for it.

"Gemma, no." Malinda went into shock, followed by a surrounding gasp.

Quinn's eyes bucked at me. "I didn't mean for you to take the Godfather thing seriously."

"I thought we were all thinking about it." I scrunch my lips to fish. "What?"

"That wolf spirit did something to you." His voice trembled slightly as a nervous chuckle escaped. "Just don't take it out on me, okay?" His laugh was less energetic than a plain face.

"As If I'll waste my time," I smirked. I'm getting him behind! He is the first one on my list. Enduring all those painful school days. I am giving him the arm lock express.

"Gemma fa'real."

"Alright, fine, your call." I fib.

"My call." A white werewolf came through the balcony, wet and unhinged. He scared the bejeezus out of my stomach and caught in my throat. Wooly comes in behind him. That is where he was hiding. His loyalty to my mate, no matter what spirit he takes on, is unmatched. The arctic wolf morphed into this preppy human with a fitted silver half-torn button-up, torn slim-fit blue jean pants, and barefoot. Has he been fighting bears in the woods? 

 Has he been fighting bears in the woods?