chapter 35 | black glass

"Here?" I eyed him for clarification

"We made it in Downtown Dallas." He hunched his shoulders. "I thought it would be a secluded area, but nope, we are smack-dead in the middle. For all the eyes to see. Great!" He didn't seem too amused about it.

"Everyone is splitting up to find whichever seven we are going to encounter." Carina slapped my brother's shoulder. "Except for him. His nose is useless and needs a bodyguard."

"Oh thank you, so kind." His sarcasm spewed while her grin grew near his face.

"Let's go lovebirds." I walked past.

"Love birds?" They glared at each other. I ignored them as I headed toward the glistening black glass building. Just like the one in my dream.

"Breathe Gemma, we haven't seen them yet." She caught me off guard, forgetting they can sense feelings, too. I am used to only Bora doing it. "Gemma, breathe." Her manner was carefully caring about me.

"Yeah sorry." I shake it off, rubbing my chest with unforeseen hot flashes, sweating my scalp, and setting my body on fire.

"Your heartbeat is going insane. You okay?" She cradles my elbow to hold me up as I am slouched over close to passing out. Her touch raised a level of anxiety and irritation as I moved from it.

"Sorry. I'm fine, just nervous."

"More like fear."

"No, it's not that, I-" Glass broke from above as Carina huddled her body over mine, shielding me from the shards. I darted my eyes up high but saw nothing. We looked at each other and ran inside with haste, racing past people to the elevator, and pushing aside bodies to get out of our way as we entered it. This Spanish-speaking elder lady cussed out puta estupida at us. "Sorry." It was at the last minute before the doors closed. "What floor do you think that was?"

"Maybe the sixth floor?" My brother pushed the button.

"It was the eighth." Carina reached over his arm to press the number.

"How do you know?"

"I counted where the glass fell from."

"That quick?"

"Yes, dumbo."

"Whatever, I was pretty close."

"You can't count. You were supposed to keep your eyes open when counting."

"I can too. It was hard to read where the window begins and ends! Only you have dog senses."

"What did you call me?" She bucked him.

"Alright, you too. Let's focus." I stood in between them, biting my thumbnail. At least he didn't fall off the ledge like in the dream. "We need to figure out the room number now."

"On it." The elevator opened; she was a moth to a flame with her mindset, morphing into her wolf, racing through the hall of small business suites. These wolves are sophisticated compared to the Selva ones I ran across.

"Should we be doing this in public?" My brother uncertainly gazes at the scenery tailing Carina.

"It's fine, only two bodies on this floor." Car, slowed to the corner of my eye, glancing at me wondering how I knew that. Listen, I surprised myself by knowing that information.

"Good to hear. I don't want to be on Fox News and a bunch of scientists flocking to the scene trying to collect so-called samples. We had enough of that."

"I second that." We came to a door, hearing a fighting growl on the other side. I guess this is the right room. I glanced at everyone to check if they were ready. They nodded and then I opened it.