chapter 29 | solitude

I was stunned

I was stunned. “Son?” Since when did I poop out a winter melon? That was a terrible joke, but what else do you do when hearing such a thing? Let me think. If I have ever had children, the least I can do is remember them. 

“You forgot about him?” I knew I lost him at his words. He huffed as I witnessed the first time this man's heart became broken. The separation between us in his painful eyes. “I will let you sit with that.” He walked away with his hand to his eyes to gather himself. The coldness in his distance left me speechless. I never felt disconnected in a matter of seconds.

“First fights are tough.” Quinn slurped his drink, looking down on the earth. “I remember when I had my first fight.” He doesn't have to rub it in. 

I slapped the drink out of his hand, going straight to clean up the situation that had expired. “That was not a fight.” I flipped my hair to the back. “He just needs a little space.”

His hand went into the air. “What was that for?” 

“Learn how to mind your business.” I fixed my shirt with my chin up, heading out the door.

“That was so satisfying to watch.” Carina taunted him while he eyed her, and she winked.

What the hell was that, Bora? Falling apart in front of me like that, like I will never catch you. Whatever that magic was, it seemed to have gotten to him sooner than me. It threw me off because nothing changed about him. Maybe this is the nature of a true wolf, and I am only human today and past wolf then. Or maybe my human form is an ordinary human. Half human, half wolf. No, I will be a hybrid. An uncontrolled beast that only changes on a full moon. 

 She claims I once was a werewolf, but there is no evidence of that. Only my eyes changed. No memories of anything, but he has uncovered them quicker somehow. That makes it unfair. How can I fix it if I don't know what occurred? Of course, I followed where he was to learn more? It will be nice to know the witch's angle and why she wishes for me to relive my last life? I cut the corner to the swamp-like pond where he stares at the moon. I hate tests, and it seems it is what’s happening. 

I tapped his shoulder. “Bora, can we talk?” 

“Soon, we will leave to go find the seven shadows.” He faced me. “There is nothing to talk about, Celeste. You made your decision. There is nothing you can do to take it back. Don’t worry. What we have will remain sacred, but I accept solitude, and you should, too.”

“First off, my name is Gemma, not this Celestial being!” He wouldn’t let me finish. He was already moving from me. “Wait, a second. The things you are saying aren't true. These aren’t your genuine feelings.” The desperation of getting him to listen to unbearing. Everyone stood outside, staring at us. 

“We should get moving before the storm comes.” Miska and the rest are packing up to leave. He shrugged off my hand from his shoulder and made his way towards the RV. 

“It hurts, doesn't it?” Her pleasing smile followed behind. 

Wooly approached me. “I don’t agree with your encounter with our Alpha, but I helped him find you. If I had known you were human, I would have told him it would never reach you. But it would have been wrong. There is so much I need to learn. But one thing is certain: we need our alpha. If you can get through this, you will become worthy, and maybe the elders will accept your bond. Until then. Good luck.” He followed Miska.

And just like that. I lost him again. Sigh.