chapter 30 | cut wings

“If he becomes an Alpha, I can hold up my end

“If he becomes an Alpha, I can hold up my end.” I try to hold as much confidence in my tone, but in reality, how can I lead wolves? 

“Hmm.” He released a breath of dismay with deep thought. “One thing is for certain: we need him to lead our tribe. By overcoming this, you can become worthy and possibly gain the acceptance of the elders. Until then. You are on your own.” He left my side to follow Miska.

“No, you’re not.” The cheerful sound of reassurance softened my heart as I turned to see Quinn’s goofy smile. What follows behind him is Carina to Milinda’s eased eyes and Adam and Xannon’s stern macho stare. Seeing these supportive faces brings me relief.

“Your brother told us what happened.” Bora’s mother’s atoning expression pained through her eyes. I broke into tears, rushing her into a hug. Seems we will keep visiting this place. We hope this will be the last time. I’m exhausted and need a break. Why such a pull from the one I love? 

“Yeah. That stick is far up their ass.” Her raspy, annoyed tone made me hold a laugh. Carina is a mess. 

“So what now?” Que chimed in.

“Our new Alpha.” Adam nodded as we turned to Bora, who looked displeased with our group. 

“Best we get a move on. He’s ready to find a Cage.” Xann moved ahead of us. 

“He is in his element. Best you keep your distance for now.” Malinda squeezed my shoulders and met the guys. 

Wow. That was awkward. “What do you think got into them?” Que stood by my side, just as confused as me.

“Obeying, I suppose.” Their demeanor changed so drastically that I never saw a group of people move so fast. He and I caught up to them entering the RV. 

Right past my mate, he stopped me by my arm, having my brother halt behind me. “Don’t make me wait again.” I gazed up, thrown to the floor with that cold demand. 

“Or what?” I showed my teeth at him with a low growl. I held my throat. What was that? His smirk vanished. He released his grip on me, and he walked towards the driver’s side while keeping his gaze fixed on me. 

“You good?” Quinn wanted to with that stunned eyebrow. 

“That was an accident.” I head up the steps. 

“You sure?” We entered the brightly luxurious warm dark marble gray tile and dark matte sofas. It was a home away from home, similar to an apartment.  

“I see why you didn’t fight over the front seat.” 

“No, we didn’t. I mean.” He looked back at the group as they eyed him with shameful stares at his child-like behavior. “No, we don’t. We don’t.” He threw up his arms, guilty as ever. He could never really lie well. If you catch him in the middle of his act, he would improvise. 

“Where’s Miska?” No lips moved as they stole glances at each other. “She’s with him?” I rolled my eyes. “Figures. What an annoying little fly.” 

“That’s it?” Malinda popped her neck at me as though I disappointed her with my reply. 

I made the same motion. “What? I don’t fight over men.” 

“I think you need to think less human and more wolf. She’s in your territory. If he takes on a lead role and they see any she-wolf can approach him with no repercussions. They will not listen to you, and they will make it very hard. You are human, too. It’s going to be lower than dirt. Your alpha won’t be there to save you all the time. And yes, he will deny every woman who approaches him because of your connection. Still will not respect you. This is not about him. This is about your role in a possible future tribe. Look at him. I think he already accepted it.”  

It is like I have to face my fears. I’ve seen it. Even Bora told me I saw it. “That is insane. How can I lead wolves?” 

“Good question.” Wooly came from the back. “I have been away from you for some time. The reality is there is nothing we can do or choose his soul connection. Which means we accept what he hands us or there will be issues. But he takes control every time. Straighten up and leave that human life. That’s what I mean. It is time you dominate Miska.”

“But she is way stronger than me. I am only human. She is going to have my guts spread over rocks.” I showed my hands. 

Malinda touched my shoulder. “Darling, there are alternative ways to win a fight besides direct combat. There are rules. You need a strategy.” 

“How?” 

“According to the rules, there is a script for forbidden lovers. The chosen human has to face the beast. That means the tribe has already picked his mate because they are against humans. Some sort of ritual may have happened for them to know this. To ensure fairness, we must even out the playing field. They give humans more land. Forest usually. Humans are great animal hunters. I hate to say this, but you have to trap it. Usually, you kill them, but this tribe treasures all life. So they just knocked them down from their throne. Knock her from her throne in front of the tribe.”

Holy shit.