chapter 34 | big d

"Celeste is gone

"Celeste is gone." She drained most of my energy as I took a seat on the RV step.

"Are you alright?" Carina placed her hand on my shoulder for my attention.

Adam squatted before me to push open my right eye. "You need to lie down."

My tired eyes fell on his concern. "I'm okay. I only require a minute. But what now? Bora, I mean Colden, whatever he is, just ran off."

"Never mind him. We go into the big city to locate the shadows before they get the upper hand. Then, we will figure out your situation later." Malinda talks to the group. "Good thing the celestial is lenient in being involved with you. We should have an advantage in figuring this out. In the meantime, let us not waste time. We need to track them down before they move. Adam and I will drive. You take a rest." She cuffs my cheek.

I try to stand, and my knees wobble, and Quinn grabs me before injuring me. He lifts me in a cradle position, carrying my dangling limbs to the bed. Xannon stands over me. "I am proud of you. Your ancient wolf respects you, which is giving you the upper hand. This may make Miska uneasy. Be careful. Do not rely on her on the battlefield. She might betray this team for personal gain. She only has eyes for her status back home." He left the room.

"To be honest, I don't trust any of them but Adam and Moma M." Quinn thought for a second. "Maybe Carina too. If she doesn't kill me first." We both snickered at the comment because he knew he was picking on that woman. "We support one another. I am your eyes, and you are minds. In the same way it has ever been, we stick together."

"Yeah. Of course." Now I see why we keep falling apart because of what happened before this lifetime. How am I going to fix this?

"Hey. I lost you there." My brother got my attention. "Don't worry, okay. You will figure it out like you always had."

I nodded in recognition of his comfort. "Right."

"Get some rest, alright." He shuts the door behind him.

As I attempt to rise, my eyes struggle to open, and I am met with the throbbing aches and pains in my body. Sheesh, she did a number on me. How long have I been out for? The time is currently eight PM, and the jolts and vibrations of the car ride have ceased. Through the cabin, I don't hear anyone.

Walking through the hall. "Guys?" No response. As I kneel on the soft cushions of the sofa, I lean forward to peek through the shades. My eyes locked on the mesmerizing mist glistening on the brightly lit skyscrapers. Why didn't they wake me? Against the backdrop of the rain-soaked streets, I confidently stride towards the glass building, my curiosity urging me to uncover their whereabouts. A scream caught my attention as I glanced skyward, watching Bora being choked and holding out the window.

"Hey!" I ran a bit and looked up. "Stop!" The sound of my voice became raspy because of fear, and at the precise moment when I was about to enter the building, his body unexpectedly landed in front of me. I screamed in terror, springing my eyes open, noticing that I was right back in the RV. I rubbed my face, understanding that I was only dreaming. It felt so real. I dropped on the bed.

"Gem! Are you good?" My brother asked, standing in the doorway as Carina watched over his shoulders.

"Yeah, I'm alright," wiping the sweat from my forehead.

"Great, because we hear." My stomach cowered at his words.

" My stomach cowered at his words