chapter 43 | the better option

Is he kidnapping people now? What type of maniac was I born into?

"We should call the police." Bora grabbed my shoulder to keep me from dialing the 911 emergency line, confused. He pointed to himself, telling me without telling me he was all the help we needed. "I know you are, but this has gone from werewolf escapades to human abduction. If our faces appear on the big screen as wanted fugitives, they would chase us down and throw us into jail, or even worse. God forbid they catch any transformations on breaking news. It will turn from hunting down Cage to a military laboratory facility with a thousand needles. It won't end well." I placed my hand on his chest to infer.

He relaxed, thinking for a moment, but Miska's importance came blurting out her nonsense. "Are you dense? You just gave us a reason not to call them. She is a potential danger. We don't know what that woman has seen or what they did to her. She will spill everything."

"There is only one way to deal with a threat." Carina whistled to wake up the lifeless girl having a dual-edged blade held out. She didn't flinch in her fetal position from the nose. She did a double slash swing at the glass enclosure, but Bora blocked it with a backrest, knocking her back into operating tables bursting with the loudest ruckus.

He stood tall to everyone in the room while the tension grew thick in my breast. "You wait for my command or suffer a beating." His expression chilled my spine, standing up the hairs on my arms. His words puzzled me, reacting to that energy he gave off.

Her raspy voice grunted and barked frustration, fingers through her ninja stars puffing up her chest in his face. That bold redhead stallion with intense green eyes stared at him for a momentary pause, but he didn't flex a muscle, waiting for her to pounce. She relaxed, falling into the crowd of us. "Remember, Bora, I am not your bottom feeder. I have my village."

"You are a terrible leader if you think your tribe is a bottom feeder. Learn something. We recover what she knows to give her a chance. If we're lucky, she won't recall anything from possibly being drugged many times. Then we can report her to the police, but there is zero communication. We drop her off and go."

"And if she remembers?" Miska caught his attention.

"Then we find another way."

My brother shakes his head. "Things are getting messier."

"It's because we are in the city." Wooly stares out the window into the Olympics of millionaires. He was right. A place where you will never be free. At least not the freedom they get. They may hate it, but I still have my favorites.

"Since Gemma and I are the only normal-looking individuals here, it is best we talk to her." Quinn threw his hat on the table of ideas. Hesitating, they decide to nod off to let him handle it.

I could see these wolves are not used to taking suggestions from humans. They wouldn't want us to lead them because it would be similar to them feeling like obedient pets. A species that sees themselves as much higher than what they will turn them to. I get it. But we are not them. I trudged to the mirror, noticing she hadn't budgeted while lying asleep. I place my palm on the cold flat surface, fogging up the glass. It was soundproof. The luminous green open button displays an invitation. I pressed the screen, and it rolled the opposite of what I thought. It is jam-locked and lit up red.