chatper 18 | safe

Bora POV

Bora POV

I stopped in my tracks. "We're over?"

"She is confused, dummy! Now chase after her!" I looked up and saw Carina in the tree.

"Why are you up there?"

"To keep track of her because you are slow." She cracked up laughing. "Better go, boy, she is getting further and further away."

"You're not helping."

Miska jogged to the side of me, along with Wooly. "What did I miss?" Wooly said, catching his breath with his hands on his knees. I am unsure if he has wolf genes. He is one hundred percent out of shape.

"His so-called human lover rejected him. Should I alert the tribe to prepare for our ceremony?" She slapped my shoulder as I nudged it off. I knew it would be complicated, but I didn't expect it to be this complicated. When did she become so fast? I can barely keep up with her. Damn, I should have worked on my cardio. "You are wasting time." Miska smiled at me. "Or should I get her for you, whichever you decide? Is your little limp slowing you down?"

"You three are getting annoying." I sighed a heavy breath and jogged away. Okay, so you want me to chase you? Fair enough. That's a game we seem to play a lot. Let's hope this is the last. I sprouted white needles from my skin that grew long silk. The marble black claws expanded as I rose higher. The only way I can catch her is to become my werewolf because my human body is crap. Alright, my little deer. Her scent danced in the wind. She is hiding. What a smart girl. She knows she can't outrun me.

Remember not to devour her. She is your lover, not your next meal. My were is a bit more aggressive, but I kept it under control since the last I saw her. It wasn't hard when her warm-colored iris stared at me. They change like a mood ring. The hunt is on. I play in my steps, searching behind each passing tree through the wet gust. She has advanced with her skills now. It is impressive that I can't find her. Ah, she's moving along and away from the wind instead of against it. You are a clever girl. But I already found you.

I popped in front of her like a raptor. Face to face while I held my breath, hoping she would know it was me. She screams, "That aches my ears and darts out of the tree hole!" Damn it. I gather myself and chase after her. She zig zags through small openings between trees to make it difficult to catch her, but it isn't at all. I just don't want to hurt her.

"Gemma!" I called out, but she raced through the dead leaves, splashing through mud, sensing the tiredness in her legs and the panic in her chest.

"Gemma!" Carina's screech ripped the open air as I watched her leap from tree to tree, keeping up with us.

Carina? Gemma's sweet voice warned me to face forward and ran right into her with a quick morph to my human form to avoid crushing her. I landed on top of her, lessening the impact on the ground. We made eye contact, watching the terror in her feels as her sugary breath fanned my face.