chapter 26 | cosmic witch

As we approached her house, we noticed it had changed

As we approached her house, we noticed it had changed. Are we at the same location? I searched around to find a landmark. The home pond remained unchanged. The majestic cottage, resembling a storybook, astonished me. Bora shifts the gears to park from a distance. "Gem, stay close to me." 

"This can't be the same place, could it?" I stepped out of the vehicle, taken aback.

"Maybe an illusion? The work of witchcraft."

"Do you think a witch is a falling fairy?" 

He looked at me, clueless. "Why would you say that?" 

"Because they can fly and practice magic. Seems logical. Like the evil fairies lose their wings and become witches." 

"I don't know." "He struggled to articulate his thoughts coherently because of his stutter." "But we definitely should stay alert."

"Yeah. Right." I walked towards it.

"Gemma!" He called out, hurrying to exit the RV. 

Quinn took off his helmet. "This is freaky. This can't be the same as the house before."

"Careful," Miska warned us, stepping to the entrance and observing the frame. "Witches, keep ash at the top of the door to fall on you while you enter. I don't sense any danger. It may be safe."

"Creepy." He gets off his bike. 

"Creepy doesn't describe it. It can be deadly, enabling you to control your mind. You will think you are thinking for yourself. But in reality. You are doing just what the magician wants." Wooly's dead expression made it creepier than it needed to be. 

"Okay, let's go inside and see how to find the Shadows." Bora's tone is stern. He held my hand as lead through the door while the others followed. We stepped up to a witch on a melodramatic throne with red ribbons all around her.

"It is such a blessing." She softens her eyes at us. "You, my children, are a gift to this earth. Do you know that?"

"Where are the seven, lady?" Bora slightly raised his voice, which had me eye him twice.

"I am not a woman nor a man. I am simply a being that is taking space in the world. Just like you and just like you," she pointed at me.

"I understand. We are trying to see the Shadows. Can you please help us?" 

"Yes. For a small price? You know how this goes. You tip me. In return, I will give you the information. The works." 

"Yeah, alright, what do you want?" Bora puts his sturdy hands on his hips. 

"Your cosmic verse. Your fate, your destiny." 

"And why would you need that?" I stepped up to her. 

"To show you your true self that lies within. To see how many lives you lived?"

"What? You can do that." 

"Yes. I am a cosmic witch." Her smile was of a galaxy pearl pink. "But be careful. You may awaken old feelings." 

"I don't like it," Bora expressed before I could even think. 

I came closer so he could hear my whisper. "I know, but this is our sole method of reaching the Seven Shadows." You want to stop them. Right? The only way to peace. "I understand your fear, but remember, we can overcome anything together."

"Okay." His sigh of relief escaped, and I turned to the group. Miska's eyes were indifferent. Wooly huffed in disgust and left out the door. The cosmic hex smiled brightly at us, carrying out two grandiose potions. One was global blue, and the other was galaxy purple. "So, which is who?" 

"I'll allow you to choose." Her arms stretched out to welcome. 

Bora and I read each other. "Whatever happens." I showed him a fist of strength and trust. He picked up the violet, stared at me, and drank it. I followed suit and reached for the blue glass and buckshot it. He giggled, and I slipped a lick of the smile. 

The witch eyed us in disgust. "One more thing I forgot to mention." We gave her our attention. "It's the life where you never made up. Poor Bora. Soaked in his hatred." She looked at me. "Of you." 

Bora's face evinced back at me with concern as it made me question. "What?"

"Your eyes. They are different." 

"What?" I rushed to the mirror, and he was correct. My left eye is iced gray. On the right is a speck of a moon shape over the chlorine pool iris. It looks like the Crescent.  

"Celeste." Bora and I turned our attention to her. "My favorite celestial."