9 (part 1)

Kaiden's P.O.V:

I stood in Liam's office, sighing heavily. This was going to be a challenge because Lily was probably going to be in denial about the truth whenever I told her. I walked out of Liam's office, slamming the door behind me, and stomped towards to the front of the club. I felt Lily's small inner war through the bond, turning my head to look at her, and she was only staring at the ground as she had another ice pack nearly glued onto her face.

For the rest of the night, Liam had been staying behind the bar with her until last call. This was the one time I was grateful for another hunter being near my soulmate. No, I wasn't going to be like Jace to be so overprotective that no one was allowed to be near Lily. I knew better than to do that. Just watching from this distance was enough for now for me.

"Are you really going to keep your distance?" Jace asked me as we were helping the last few people getting into an Uber.

I nodded, closing the car door, then said as the car drove off, "I can't exactly come right out and say it. Mentally, that would break her psyche. So, not only would I have to try to convince to come back to Texas with me, but she'd be in the middle of a mental breakdown."

"Points to her for taking that punch like a champ too," Jace tried to joke, but I glared at him. He gave a nervous chuckle and smile, "I'm kidding, ghost rider."

"Could you not call me that?" I glared, walking in the club with him.

I looked at the bar, seeing Lily drinking some water out of a cup, and she avoided my eyes when she glanced my direction. Why did this have to be more difficult than it needed to be? I decided to do another sweep, to make sure there were no other customers in the club, when I felt Lily's confusion in the bond. Her confusion was hiding something else, and it bugged me that I couldn't tell what it was. Did she have any feelings for me? Her body language in Liam's office agreed with me, but her face told me of the internal war she was having. Who knew my soulmate would be a trauma victim that didn't understand when she was slowly beginning to feel something for another person.

When we were all walking out, I looked to see Lily nearly sprinting to her car. She got to her car, fishing out something from her jacket pockets, then I watched her as she was suddenly pushed against her car door. I sprinted full force as I felt her immediate shock in the bond followed by a searing pain in my jaw. I jumped over the hood of her car, kicking that little shit in the throat. I stood in front of her, and saw it was the drunk college kid we tossed out earlier. Where the fuck was the sheriff? Shouldn't he have taken this little shit to jail already?

The boy only tried to rush pass me, but I spun around him and caught him in a headlock as Lily was holding her arms up to protect her face. I held the boy in a headlock, looking to see his neck still had a band aid on it, then ripped it off. His bite mark was slowly bleeding, which meant he was still a thrall. I tossed him into another car, then heard Lily slowly getting up as she held her jaw. The boy got up, charging at full speed, and I threw my foot in his face as he hit the bottom of my boot hard on impact. He fell to the ground, his hand pressed up against his mouth, and I turned to Lily. I opened her car door for her as she unlocked it, nearly shoving her in the driver seat and slammed it shut.

I wanted to kill this thrall for hurting her again, but he was human. If he were to try to kill me then, I'd be allowed to kill him. No, I didn't want to do that to her. I didn't want her to see me be the grim reaper right now. If I showed that side of me...if the grim reaper in me came out to play, then I'd be on a time limit to explain everything before I'd have to drag her back to Texas.

No, I didn't have to do that to her now. I hurried into the back seat of her car, slamming the door shut, then climbed into her front passenger seat. Lily only stared at me as she had her car running.

"Drive," I ordered.

"But—"

"Just fucking drive!" I roared, cutting her off, and she just stared at me in fear.

Lily put her car into reverse, backing out, and threw it into drive. She sped off as I took her phone from the cup holder. I got her to unlock her phone for me, dialing Nate's phone number, and prayed he pick it up.

"Hello?" Nate answered with a sleepy tone. Shit, did I wake him up?

"Nate, I'm coming home and Liliana's with me. Make sure you call Jace and let him know to take care of what I left behind."

"Yes, boss," Nate yawned, then hung up on me.

Lily answered in a timid tone, "Where are you having me drive you to?"

"My house so get in the lane that leads to the houses just outside of town," I only grunted, then stared out the window.

Fuck, this was going to be harder than I planned to tell her now.