Long Time No See

"For a job well done, how about we go out and celebrate!" Dazai exclaimed, placing a hand on his chest.

"No way in hell." Kunikida replied bluntly, standing up from his chair.

"Whhhaaaatttt, why not?" Dazai asked, frowning.

"Because, you never pay and I'm always the one having to pick up the bill." Kunikida replied, walking to the door. "Besides, I have a schedule to uphold today, so I'll be out for a while."

I stifled a laugh at Dazai's betrayed face. "I mean can you blame him? The last time that happened, Kunikida ended up paying for several bowls of Tea on Rice, because you graciously told Atsushi it was his treat."

"I don't know what you're talking about..." Dazai replied innocently, while Atsushi let out a small chuckle. "But that's not the point here. A success such as this needs to be celebrated!" He tried to change the subject as he turned to Atsushi. "Well~ Atsushi? What do you say?"

Atsushi gave a small apologetic smile, rubbing the back of his neck. "Sorry, Dazai, but I told Jun'ichirō that I'd help him out today."

Dazai let out a gasp, placing his hand on his chest dramatically. "I've been betrayed, not only by Kunikida, but you too, Atsushi!" Dazai quickly turned to me. "Don't tell me you are going to say no too?!"

I let out a small sigh, picking my head up to stare at the man in front of me. "If I agree to go and pay, will that get you to shut up?" I asked, placing my head in my hand.

"Oh wow, really?!" Dazai gasped, happily. "You're the best, (Y/N)! Tell you what, I'll even let you pick the place."

I closed my eyes, mentally questioning what I just got myself into. "I was going to regardless since it is on my dime."

———

"So this is the place?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, I heard from a few people in town that this place has been getting pretty popular as of late." I replied, staring at the name of the building, 'Minato Mirai'.

*fun fact: Minato Mirai, or MinatoMirai 21, is the district of Yokohama that the anime takes place in. If my research was correct, that is :p It is also referred to as the 'Harbor of the Future' so this restaurant will be near the harbor.*

Walking in, the two of us got a table, glancing over the menu items. It didn't take long before a waiter came by and took our orders as I heard Dazai speak up. "So what made you choose this place? It's not exactly cheap."

I leaned back in my seat. "Well, I heard good things about this place. Plus there is-"

"Are you kidding me?!"

The sound of yelling swept over the restaurant, causing me to stop in what I was saying. "I'm sorry Miss, but-"

"But nothing! I can do it all my damn self, who cares if Subaki was a no show?" I heard them shout back. "Whatever- I'm taking my break now. Figure it out."

I looked over at Dazai, sighing. "Looks like we get some entertainment for the day too."

"Oh my god, (Y/N)? Is that you?"

I whipped my head to the left of me surprised. "No way... Yumi?!"

"It's so good to see you, how long has it been now?" She gasped out, jumping onto me for a hug. "I didn't know you were back in Yokohama!"

I gave her a hug back, still shocked. "Yeah, sorry about that, work has been pretty busy as of late."

"Work, huh?" She replied pulling back. "What are you doing these days?"

I let out a chuckle, rubbing the back of my neck. "Well, I went to work for the Agency."

"Wait- seriously?!" She gasped out, smiling. "You went through with it?"

I nodded my head. "Sure did. What about you?"

She let out a heavy sigh, pointing her thumb over her shoulder to behind her. "Well, I work here now as a chef." She smiled, placing her hands on her hips. "In fact, I'm the head chef!"

I laughed. "I should've known it was you making all that commotion."

"Yeah that's right. I-" She suddenly stopped, stopping down beside my ear, whispering. "So who's this hottie you're with? He your boyfriend or something?"

I frantically waved my arms at the woman. "No, no nothing like that." I recovered from being flustered, gesturing over to the man. "Anyways, this is Dazai, he works with me at the Agency."

"Hello, I'm Yumi and I've known (Y/N) for- uh what is he doing?" She sweat dropped as Dazai dropped onto his knee on the ground.

"My another lovely woman." He stated, grabbing hold of her wrist. "Will you do the honor of committing double suicide with me?"

I knocked Dazai on the back of his head, Yumi being startled at my aggressiveness. "Would you give it a rest?! She doesn't want to commit suicide with you."

"What just... happened?" She asked, looking from Dazai, who held his head in his hands, to me as I sat back down.

I held a hand up, waving it off. "Ignore him, he's obsessed with suicide."

"(Y/N), I swear you're spending too much time with Kunikida..." Dazai whined, sitting back into his seat.

"Well, someone has to keep you in line when he's not around." I told Dazai, now turning my glance into his direction. "You got to stop asking everyone woman you see to commit double suicide with you."

"Awe are you jealous?" Dazai replied, laying his head on top of his hand.

I widened my eyes. "What- I- That's not... ugh whatever, forget it." I closed my eyes as I heard Yumi chuckle.

"Are you sure you two aren't a thing?" Yumi whispered into my ear once more, a teasing tone in her voice.

"Yeah, I'm sure." I told her.

I heard her sigh as she moved away. "Well, I should be getting back. Nice to meet you Dazai and keep an eye on (Y/N), she tends to get herself into situations often."

"Believe me, I know." Dazai replied as I gawked at the two.

"What? I do not get myself into situations!" I spat out in defense.

Dazai simply raised an eyebrow at me silently asking me 'are you sure about that?' "Do I need to elaborate?" Yumi spoke up as I whipped my head to her, glaring for her to keep quiet. "Anyways, feel free to come back sometime, yeah?"

Nodding, I waved Yumi goodbye as she made her way back to the kitchen just as the waiter brought our food out.

———

"You know, I was the one that offered to pay." I stated as we walked down the streets and back to the Agency.

"I know." Dazai replied simply as he shoved his hands into his pockets.

I glanced at the man, trying to figure him out before I shook my head, staring back in front of me. I don't get you sometimes Dazai... just what goes through your head?

———
Published: 03/28/2024