chapter one.

~~~

"I love you but you're not mine." She tells me, all of my feelings came to a halt. What does she mean?
"I was a bride. My dreams were taken from me and i've stolen someone else's." She grabbed the cup and set it on the table—reaching her hand out to a blur image of a women, who was hiding behind the pillar.
"There will be a wedding, just not mine." Her eyes were full with sadness as she started to leave. I find my legs tugging towards her, unable to find the words to speak, I reach out to her, but she dissipates into blue butterflies.

~~~

I awoke, my heart clenching. I rubbed my eyes and chuckled at myself for having such a dream, saying, "Oh.. it was just a dream."

"Morgen(Morning)! Brekkie!(Breakfast)." I glanced at the time on the clock as the maids yelled. I hastily dressed myself before my mother could reprimand me because it was the first time I had ever slept in. My folks were enjoying bread and tea in the kitchen when I arrived there.
"Victor! Atlas you woke."I sat down calmly and gave the maids my appreciation for breakfast.
"How's your studies going?" My father asked me.
"Very well." I gave him a cheeky smile. I do wish my parents weren't always so strict with me so I'm not always on edge.
"I can't imagine myself learning about insects, let alone seeing them so up close."
"Mother, the term is Entomology." Mother rolled her eyes and drank her tea as usual.
"Whatever—oh! Victor you ought to be wed. Peasant, where is that honey I requested hours ago?" My mother informed me of the news. I froze as I tried to understand what she had said. I rose to my feet.
"Wed?!" Shocked, I exclaimed.
"Hush now! Don't fret. The Everglots require money, and we require a higher position, so in the end, will assist us." My mother informs me as she pours honey into her tea.
"Are you mad?!"I yelled, and my parents glanced at me, startled that I would ever yell at them. I cleared my throat and returned to my seat.
"Apologizes for my impolite behavior; I'm simply... stunned." My mother, I tell her, has relaxed.
"Your father and I made the arrangements for the wedding—when was it darling?" My mother turned to face my father.
"Next age." My father answered.
"Next age so you ought to practice your vows." My mother nonchalantly drank her tea.
"We never met the Everglots! How could I possibly be wedded if I never met their daughter?" I asked them.
"Whether or not you met their daughter, they need the money, and marrying them will help raise our status. Stop asking questions now." My mother informs me sharply. I kept my tongue quiet because I didn't want to aggravate my parents any further. This is not something I'm looking forward to.

To take my mind off the marriage, I went for a walk to examine more insects. A blue butterfly landed on my sketchbook. Its beauty made me grin. It's practically identical to the one I imagined. Something attracted my attention as my eyes followed it as it flew away. Perhaps a lady. I recognized the woman from my dreams in her smile. She appeared to be scrolling around town with her lady. The woman I'd perceived was not the same as the one I'm looking at. This woman... appears to be living rather than dead.This is... bizarre. I'm making a comparison between a woman and the one from my nightmare. In frustration, I rubbed my dorsum.
"Ah! You're the heir to the Merrimack family." One bystander remarks, smiling at her beauty.
"Please, may you call me Emily." She sandwiched her hand between the civilian's hands. She has a very charming voice.
"Oh.. You're a lovely young lady, Emily!" The civilian blushed and Emily's lady urged her to continue looking around the farmer market. Then she came face to face with someone who made me sick to my stomach.
"I can't help but your beauty caught my eyes." He tells her. Emily let out a small giggle, he took her hand and kissed it. A light pink shade rose up to her cheeks.
"Well thank you Lord.." She paused to allow him to say his name.
"Lord Barkis." He offered her a lustful smirk. Emily reciprocated his grin.
"Thank you, Lord Barkis." Emily and her lady proceeded further along the town after finishing the chat with a formal bow. Sir Barkis... I don't like him, and I'm convinced I don't want him near her.

I returned and was in the living room with my parents. My mother was knitting while my father was cleaning his shooter.
"Mother, father, who are the Merrimack?" I inquired, looking up from my book. My parents locked their gaze on me, nearly snapping their necks.
"The Merrimack family is a very good family. Their grandfather was an Earl!" Mother answered.
"I've seen Miss. Emily at the farmers market—"
"Miss. Emily?! How scandalous to call her improper. Have I taught you any better?" My mother interrupted me.
"Never mind that, what was a lady doing at the farmer market?" Curious, Father wondered.
"I don't know. She and her lady was walking, greeting the civilians as if they're making friends." I gave my response.
"Interesting! Building her socials. I would too if I had the time." Mother says as she works on her quilt.
"How come we never have tea with them?" I asked. My mother sighed heavily.
"The Merrimack are very busy family. They often travel to different countries." Mother responded. I looked down at my book, where I was drawing a butterfly from memory.
"I'm going to turn in for the night." I told my parents, gathered my belongings, and kissed my mother's cheek goodnight before entering my sleeping quarters.

...