chapter twelve⚠️

This chapter is very long so it might get boring for you :/
Words counted: 1453

TW
WARNING
TW
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
TW

...

Emily's POV:
Alice invited my family and me to her engagement party through an invitation. What fantastic news! Returning to the oak tree, I saw the letter Barkis had left for me. I rip open the envelope and read it rapidly.

"Whenever you are ready my love, I will be here."

My heart warmed; Barkis genuinely cared about me, and I had to accept his regrets. I promptly sent him another letter in which I expressed my forgiveness.

~~~

Today was Alice and Everett's engagement celebration. I wore an ombre gown with pink, blue, and white accents and a built-in pearl corset. After curling and braiding two strands of my hair on each side, Genevieve finished the style by tying in diamond hair decorations. I put my feet into my white sling-back heels. Next, Genevieve worked on my face, adding blush to give my cheeks a sun-kissed effect, drawing small black wings on my eyelids, combining ashes and foundation to lengthen my lashes, and adding a hint of apricot color to my lips that blended in with the color of my lips. She puts some oil-based shine on my lips. I was stunned to see how pretty I looked when I looked in the vanity mirror. I gave Genevieve a grin and expressed my gratitude for her efforts. My parents were waiting for me when I came downstairs, and they gasped when they saw me.

"Oh Emily... You look pulchritudinous(beautiful)." My mother comments on my attire as she admires it.

"It's a good thing, I picked the gown for her. Isn't that right, my love." As he kisses my mother's forehead, my father says.

"Indeed. Your father chose this gown for you. He said you would look completely exquisite(beautiful)." My mother looks up at him in wonder. I adore my folks. They remain utterly enamored of each other even after having me. Is that how Barkis and I look together? Oh, how I can't wait to meet him tonight. We enter the equipage and traveled to the Taylor's mansion.

~~~

There was a large crowd when we arrived. The Wilsons have to be a very large family. People greeted us with champagne and laughters. I turned to look for Edith and Alice. I approached them and waved as they were greeting a few women. They embraced me with excitement and introduced me to some of the Wilson family ladies. When I heard the music, I became ecstatic and dragged my pals onto the dance floor by holding their hands. We got into a group dance. We were spinning, twirling, and tapping our toes. We clapped and giggled. We turned to the audience and performed a last dance move, to which they applauded and joined in the dancing. Together, my friends and I exited the dance floor laughing, but Everett dragged Alice away. Edith and I exchanged a look, smirking, and burst out laughing. Then Edith's parents called, leaving me alone. I approached the table with the delectable food and refreshments. When I reached over the strawberry-filled pot, my hand accidentally touched someone else's. I looked up to see who it was, and it was Victor.

"Victor! How wondrous to see you here."

"You as well Emily." With a sigh of pleasure, Victor and I bit into the strawberries.

"Isn't strange that these strawberries reminds me of you?" Victor asked, scooping up another, and I giggled and shook my head in response.

"Very odd, yes. However, I do not mind." Victor and I giggled softly. We carried on chatting and munching on the strawberries.

"You have an amazing gown." I blushed as soon as Victor tells me. Because there were so many people in the ballroom, we were standing practically next to one another. A few individuals bumped against us, causing us to turn to face one another. When Victor caught me, my hands landed on his chest and he put his arm around my waist.

"Thank you. Your suit looks marvelous." I could feel my heart pounding so hard that I could hear it in my ears as we both locked eyes for a brief minute. We gazed at one other in the same way as my mother looks at my father. However, Barkis has my heart, while Victor's belongs to his engaged wife. I looked away from Victor and managed to snap out of it. He detected my intent and took his arm away from my waist.

"I must go.. It was pleasant to see you Victor." I tell him as I back away cautiously. I spotted my parents, who were having a conversation with both the Wilsons and the Van Dorts. Everyone was enjoying themselves and drinking by this point. Someone had run into me, and when he turned his head, it was Barkis!

"Mother, father. This is Lord Barkis. We are in a courtmanship." When I told my parents, they grinned and my father reached out to shake Barkis's hand. This is it! My father will approve of him after months of not meeting him. I turned my head and Barkis gave me a kiss! In front of my parents. I pushed him away, and to my horror, my folks were shocked.

"Are you drunk?" I questioned him, but I can see his gloss eyes. My parents hauled me away from Barkis, who became furious. Barkis tugs me in his direction, and my father starts yelling.

"Do not touch my daughter, you bloody blowse(A stupid, blundering fellow)!" When my father yelled, it only made Barkis even more angry.

"Who's the blowse?! You and your fussock(A lazy fat woman/a frowzy old woman) are bunch of jolterheads(A large head; metaphorically a stupid fellow)!" My father lifted his fist to strike Barkis, grabbing his collar, but I moved in between them before he could hit Barkis. I took Barkis out to the side of the manor, pulling him away from my father.

"You cannot talk to my father with such anger. Have you gone mad?!" I shouted. Barkis ran his hands through his hair.

"Your father is a bastard!"

"Even if he is or isn't, you shall respect the elders--" Barkis threw me against the wall, causing me to gasp. I looked at him, horrified that he had hurt me.

"We are done. We are no longer courting." As I watched Barkis leaves the residence, I winced from the pain in my elbow. My palm was covered in blood when I touched the area that ached, and my stomach churned in uncertainty. What had just happened?

...

I returned from outside and took a haven in the music room, where I played the piano in a glum manner. Next to me, I sensed someone sitting down. I turn to see who it is, and to my amazement, it's Victor. We often seem to bump into each other these days.

"Are you all right? You look so blue." I sighed heavily as he asked. I want to tell Victor, but I'm not sure if it's proper because he'll be married soon. Would telling him now, still be inappropriate on my part? Oh dear, I shouldn't say anything to start whispers. However, Victor remained silent. About our unfortunate incident in my music room, I have not heard anything. Maybe I shall tell him... or not. While arguing with myself, Victor pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Perhaps this will help you feel better." He strikes up a piano tune. I recognized the keys and realized that he was performing the classic Lewis Capaldi song, "Forget me". I watched Victor play while I leaned against the piano and rested my jaw on my hand. His fingers glided over the keys with such ease, and I could tell he was having fun because I found myself enjoying his performance as well.

"You played fantastic." I clapped my hands and exclaimed. As we gazed into one other's eyes, I felt myself starting to pull toward him, but I forced myself to stop and clear my throat.

"You are a good friend Victor. You seem to have made me feel better." He chuckles lightly as I smile. We sat in silence until the music room's window let in a shaft of moonlight that shone down on us. After gazing at the moon, we turned to look at one another. Flying around in my tummy were butterflies. Why do I feel the way that I do? Are I ill? We were staring at each other when Alice entered the room. I thanked Victor and stepped out after she pulled me aside.

...