chapter seventeen; part 1

...

Emily's POV:

"You promised!" I shouted at Barkis.

"Please Emmie, let me--"

"You broke your word! You deceived me! Promises made by lovers must not be broken." There we were, in the cabin. I went there to retrieve my heels, but when I entered the cabin, Barkis was already there. He sat on the davenport, looking downcast. When our gazes met, I immediately grabbed my square toe pumps. Barkis had blocked the entrance before I could reach it.

"Emmie--I can explain!" I attempted to force my way out of the door, but to no avail. Barkis would not let me leave the cabin.

"There is nothing to explain... You caused injuries... You've hurt me."

"I.. I know and... No matter how much I'll apologize--" Barkis placed his hands on my shoulders, but I ducked to keep him from touching me. I don't want to be anywhere near him. He frightens me.

"You promised!"

"Please Emmie, let me--"

"You broke your word! You deceived me! Promises made by lovers must not be broken." As tears filled Barkis's eyes, I shook my head and pushed him aside so I could go to the door. I made a mad dash for home. I want to avoid ever seeing him again. He was the reason I stopped venturing out into the public! My mother questioned why I wasn't going out as much and what was wrong with me. I no longer hosted tea parties for Alice and Edith. I spent the entire day and night sitting in my room, still dwelling on the one particular night that Barkis had slapped and struck me.

...

I was lying in bed when there came a knock on my door. Since meeting Barkis, I have not left my apartment. Mother and Genevieve would leave breakfast and supper, but I never bothered to touch them.

"Emily, darling?" My mom's voice calls from behind my door. Silently, she unlocks my door and steps into my bedroom. Her presence is palpable as she sit at the foot of my bed. My back was to her.

"I know you are feeling ill at the moment but... We received a letter from the Van Dorts. They invited us to their weekend ball party. I hope you are well enough to come." My mother informs me while petting my legs. When I didn't respond, mother leaned over to see my expression. She scoots over and reach to caressed my face, but I looked away. She was about to put her hand on the cheek where Barkis had smacked me. Mother let out a sad sigh.

"Supper is almost ready. Genevieve will bring it to you." After my mother left my room, I reclined in my bed. Perhaps I shall go... Victor has always made me feel better... Oh I must be mad! I cannot yearn for someone's betrothed husband... But he is not married... yet. I suppose going this ball shall be alright..? Oh what is wrong with me? I like how Victor... Oh bloody hell.. I should slap myself right. For the first time ever, I got out of my bed and started looking for a gown. I called for Genevieve. It took her a few moments to arrive to my chamber.

"Emily? Are you well?"

"Genevieve.. I liked the gown you planned for me at the last ball. Would you ever be so kind to find a gown for the Van Dort's ball?" I asked of her. Genevieve was taken aback and nods her head.

"Yes, anything for you." She showed off her smile and I dismissed her from my chamber so she can go on a search for my frock.

...

The day of the celebration has arrived, and my gown arrived. Genevieve barged into my apartment with the most beautiful gown I've seen! It had shimmer fabric and tiny blue butterflies along the shoulders, a like Queen Anne. The dress had a stunning grayish blue color. There was a little butterfly in the middle, and it was bejeweled all the way around on the chest. Shiny beads were used to cover the rest of the robe. The gown was accessorized with a pearl-studded shawl and a circular handbag. I was taken aback when Genevieve gave me the most outstanding heels. The white straps were embellished with rhinestones, giving the shoes a gleaming appearance. I wore my usual pearl necklace. Genevieve had created a subtle blue eye look follow with a sparkly ontop. She used mascaro for my lashes to appear much longer. I felt worthy and lovely. I had been depressed and melancholy for a while, but now I could finally experience what it's like to be beautiful once more. I descended the steps to find the coach and the carriage. My parents traveled ahead of me because they were unaware that I would be attending this event. I thanked Genevieve for making me feel beautiful as she led me outside to the carriage. I then left for the ball.

...

Finally, I reached the Van Dorts' entryway. Many individuals were entering the manor and making their way through it. I followed the other residents inside, and for a brief while, they all looked at me. Feeling a little shy, I began to hunt for my parents. I met their gaze and approached them right away.

"Oh Emily! You look rather dashing!" My mother expressed. She stared at the details of the gown. My father's eyes starts to tear up.

"My Emily... Look at you! So beautiful!" I expressed my gratitude for their kind words. I turned around when I felt eyes on me and saw the kind, familiar gaze. Victor. I took noticed that he was wearing a white suit which is unlikely of him. I smiled and offered him a little court bow. Mother then dragged me over to where the men were.

"You ought to find a suitor, a suitor who is kind and proper." Mother tells me. She gives one of the man's shoulders a tap. I gasped, as did my mother, as he turned around. He has severe red corns on his face, sometimes known as pimples. I immediately concealed my shock with a grin.

"Forgive me sir! My mother and I are looking for a friend, have you seen them? They're... tall and have... er... big dark brown eyes."

"Ah... I'm afraid I do not know who you are talking about. I hope you are able to locate them." Mom and I exchange nods before moving on. I shot my mother a harsh look.

"Mother! You shall not find suitors for me anymore."

"Agreed. However... Big dark brown eyes?" Mother raised her eyebrows in suspicion.

"What? It's not like--"

"The only one has that appearance." Mother interrupts me and leaned her head towards Victor who has big brown eyes.

"It is not him. It was just a sudden excuse." I told her and mother smirked.

"Certainly... Perhaps not." While she laughed, I shook my head. Mom turns to go, and Edith appears out of nowhere, frightening me.

"Emily! It's so good to see you, my dear friend."

"Edith, how wondrous." We gave each other a hug. Oh, how I missed her floral scent.

...

here is the dress n shoes! I really went on a big search for the PERFECT dress for Emily. Well perfect-ish dress. I wished the color was more lighter than the actual color otherwise it would've been perfect. Dress looking was HARD. It may not fit your imagination or how you want it to be but I needed something that's from the victorian era yet modern. I feel like this dress is the perfect fit for Emily! I'm not sure if you've noticed that I tried to describe her dresses in slim or flow-y styles. As for the shoes, i tried my best trying to find a victorian era shoes but tbh most of them are boot heels and i just dont think it would match the picture i visioned. And quite frankly... they're a bit ugly😅

 they're a bit ugly😅