chapter eighteen; part 2 REVISION

EDITED VERISON

...

Emily's POV:

An hour has passed. Alice and Everett came shortly after me. Alice's stomach has grown, but you can't tell she's pregnant. Alice shared anecdotes of her fornications while pregnant. Edith and I were astounded. They've repeated the process at Everett's family home. Alice discussed her wedding and their arrangements. My back collided with someone's back as my women were conversing. When I turned to apologize, there was Victor! We observed that everyone was forming groups, so Victor extended his hand for me to accept.

"Care for a dance?" When Victor asked, I smiled and took his hand in mine. He slipped his other hand around my waist and we began to waltz.

"Please do forgive me if I sound like a debaucher. I took noticed that you were no longer out on the town like you used too." Victor tells me. Oh.. He noticed... Was he thinking about me? Of course Emily! The last meeting with Victor, he saw your bleeding mouth! How bloody stupid can you be??

"I fell ill from that chilly night but I'm well again." I lied. Victor seemed relieved. In the background, music was playing. As we danced, I looked into his enormous dark brown eyes. Before immersing me, Victor whirled me around. I can feel his breath on my neck since we never lost eye contact. My cheeks began to flush. He returned to my feet, and we continued the waltz. I leaned against his side to stop our dance, and he startled me with a whirl. We locked gazes, and for a brief time, I felt my heart speed as passion flooded my gut. Victor helped me to my feet and we bowed to the crowd before strolling off the dance floor to applause. Victor was halted by his relatives, which was my cue to depart, but Victor grabbed my wrist before I could.

"Apause! Emily, I have a question for you." We're standing in the midst of the parlor room, surrounded by everyone. Is he admitting to me? That would be... incredible, even if it would tarnish his reputation. The door opened, revealing the familiar figure with the moon beaming through. My mouth dropped open as I turned to see who had stepped in. Lord Barkis. When he noticed Victor and me, his eyes were filled with anguish. He dashed out the front door. My feet pursued him. Barkis sat down on a bench and sobbed.

"My lord?" I called out. He raised his head, got to his feet, and grabbed my shoulders.

"How could you?! Can't you see my heart is breaking?!" He shouted as he shook me aggressively. I pushed him off of me.

"Can't you see how much I love you? My heart aches for you and I cannot lose you to that... pill-looking Victor Van Dorts."

"You know my heart belongs to you but you promised me to not harm me. I... I assumed that we had no courtmanship between us." I told him. Barkis's eyes began to fill with tears.

"Well.. we weren't!"

"We weren't?" I whispered gently, then gasped. What did I do?! I've committed such heinous deed. I had a dance with another suitor! I grabbed for Barkis, but he stepped back.

"Please forgive me my lord!" I told him, pleading with my hands.

"I cannot.. But there's one thing I will accept."

"And what would that be? Please!" I told him, he wiped his tears and stared into my eyes, almost like he was staring down to my soul.

"Coitus." I felt my stomach drop. Coitus?

"You mean.. You'll only forgive me... If I give you my all?"

"Correct." He grabbed for my cheek and stroked it. I can't... We aren't married. My virtue is the only present I can give to my husband. Barkis is going to have to marry me, right? If I gave it to him, he has to! He loves me so much that he plans to marry me. But.. is this his method of proposing?

...

Victor's POV:

As I stood there watching Emily walk away from me. My butler yelled my name just as I was ready to rush after her. I came to a halt and faced him.

"You've received a letter from Miss. Victoria Everglot." He offers me a folded letter and swiftly moves away to attend to other matters. I hastily stuffed the note into my pocket and set off to see Emily. I got outdoors, but someone surged against me and blocked my path. I pushed my way out and looked for Emily in the garden, where I saw her with another suitor. He was stroking her cheek. What on earth am I thinking? Emily has a lover, and I... am engaged to someone else. When I watched Emily's eyes light up, I lowered my head. The folded letter had produced a crinkled noise when it dropped out of my pocket as I went back. I took it out to read it.

"My dearest Victor,

We must meet late where no one is around. I will take you to a cabin in the forest away from everyone. I hope I will see you at the tall big old oak tree.

Sincere,
Victoria Everglots."

It's not the right moment. I returned to the parlor area, where everyone was having fun and spending time with their loved ones... Oh, how I hoped I could have spent it with someone... I envy people who have someone who cares for them. I proceeded to my room, changing out of my suit and into my sleepwear.I laid down in my bed for the rest of the night pondering my feelings.  I was going to ask Emily if Barkis was to blame for her injuries. I must be a moron. If he did, she would not be the sort to return to her mistreated lover. If Emily didn't display pride and self-love, such things wouldn't exist, right? A tap on my balcony door came just as I was ready to close my eyes. I was startled by the commotion and opened the draperies to see who it was. I was shocked to see Victoria. Standing in the pouring rain. Her hair was a mess, and she was only wearing a bedspread. I let her in swiftly and led her to the fire. She must be insane! Going out late in these weather puts her at risk of contracting the same illness as everyone else.

...