chapter seven

UNEDITED

...

Mother and I spent the week organizing a tryst meeting with Victoria. We decided that Victoria and I will go on walks every sunday after church. Mother wants to comply with Mrs. Everglots's rules. If Victoria and I want to know one another, we need a chaperone with us at all times or else it would be improper and might cause scandals. I was very nervous as the day arrives. I have mix feelings about Victoria. I listened to the pastor preach about marriage.
"Marriage requires connection on all levels—spiritual, emotional, and physical. According to the teachings of the Old Testament, 'Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh' Genesis 2:24. In every manner, married couples are supposed to be one." Announced the pastor. My nerves were very overwhelming that I had to walk out of church. I am not ready for marriage. I didn't even want to be married in the first place! I sat down on a big rock feeling depressed. All this for a higher status. Why can't I be wed to someone who I actually love? I'm sure Victoria is a wondrous woman. I will eventually come to love her. There is nothing wrong with Victoria. What if she doesn't love me? What if our marriage won't work? Before I realized, the service had ended and I spent the time just sitting on the rock, arguing with myself. Mother and father came out looking for me.
"Victor! Where have you gone? You didn't even hear the service." Mother scolded me.
"Son, you ought to respect the lord." My father tells me. They stared me down in disappointment and then I followed them to the carriage. I had to change out of my church clothes to new clothes for the tryst. When I came down from my quarters, I was met by my mother who fixed my collar and brushed any fuzz off of my suit.
"You appear handsome." Mother grinned. We walked outside, my mother kissed my cheek before telling me farewell. I got into the carriage in dawdle manner. As soon the door shut, my mother waved me goodbye as the carriage starts to move. I let out a heavy sigh and prepared myself.

I prepared myself by taking a long breath in and out before getting out of the hansom. I fixed my hair and walked towards to the Everglots's door. I rang the door and waited. Mrs. Everglots had opened the door, I did a small wave as she lets me in. Walking into their home, still looked as plain as usual.
"Here is Mrs. Miriam. She will be Victoria's chaperone." Mrs. Everglots points at the old lady who was wearing a burlet and tippet. I nodded acknowledging her and she returned with a respectable bow.
"Victoria will be down in a bit." Mrs. Everglots tells me as she walks over to Mr. Everglots who appeared to be annoyed with me. I turned my gaze to the ground as I waited for Victoria since they were staring at me and made me feel uncomfortable. The main hall reverberated with the sound of pitter-pat. Victoria caught my attention as she enters into the main hall. She gave me a bright smile as soon as our eyes locked, looking relieved to see me. Still nervous, I rubbed the back of my neck and watched her walk down the stairs.
"Did you wait long Victor?" She looked into my eyes and her eyes glistened with admiration.
"N-no. I've just arrived." I stuttered. Having said our goodbyes to the Everglots, we head out for a stroll. We walk in silence, looking for ways to start a conversation. Miss Miriam trailed us as we went.
"How was your sleep?" Victoria suddenly asked.
"Ah... Well it was... invigorating." Then we went silent again. It haven't been a couple of minutes and we cannot have a steady conversation. My eyes fell on a pretty flower, I stopped and bend down to pluck the flower from the ground. I hand the flower to Victoria, giving her a half smile. She takes the flower from my hand and took a whiff.
"What a strange smell... It's a lovely flower." Victoria gently stuffed the flower into her coat. We continued our stroll down the street.
"Do you like music?"
"Mother says it's a bunch of noises."
"Shall we go to the market? I heard the loaf of bread there, is amazing." I told Victoria but I can tell she's hesitant. She shook her head before speaking.
"Mother said--" I interrupt Victoria, and it was impolite, but Victoria frequently repeats her mother, which bothers me.
"Do you always believe what your mother says?" Victoria softly gasped, absolutely taken aback.
"Apologies. I do not mean to be rude."
"You are forgiven." I lowered my head as we continued walking. Our tryst meeting is going poorly. Someone grabbed my wrist as I staggered along. Victoria had grabbed me as I turned to face her.
"You are right. I believe what my mother tells me but... I have no friends so I do not know what else to say. Forgive me Victor." Her gaze fell to the ground as she pouts. I let out a penitence sigh as I try to understand Victoria. I drew her in for a short hug. When Miriam witnessed us hugging, she disciplined us. Victoria and I exchanged glances, and I could see that her cheeks were red.
"Miriam isn't the type of maid who would scold. Mother probably browbeat her into chaperoning." Victoria tells me, I look back at Mrs. Miriam and she appears to be in sorrowness.
"Mrs. Miriam, where are you from?" I questioned, her eyes met mine and it showed respect.
"If you want to know, Manchester." She answered confidently. I heard that Manchester was full of filth due to being covered by tower mills and warehouses. A lot of plague often passes through there.
"I grew up being poor, my mother and father sent me off to serve the Everglots. I took care of Miss. Victoria since birth. I used to wet nurse her." Mrs. Miriam is a very interesting maid, Victoria and I spent the rest of the afternoon listening and talking to Mrs. Miriam.

...