chapter eight

...

I was sitting in the main quarters with my folks. While father smoked a cigar and worked on his business strategies, mother was engaged in her craft.

"Mr and Mrs Van Dorts. You've received a mail from the Merrimack." Our butler made an announcement and handed the letter to my mother. Father and I watched as she opened it and read it. Mother gasped loudly, and I feared the worst. Could Emily be hurt? Or is it a formal invitation? Is the Merrimack breaking off their friendship?

"We've been invited to the Merrimack's soirées(gathering) party! How lavishing!" Mother shouted as she dances around the room. Mother has hoped to come close to the Merrimack for a time, and seeing her pleased makes my heart sing. 

"What a wonderful news mother." I smiled at my mother and watched her settle in to resume working on her project. We had brief discussions and listened to music the remainder of the evening. I knew it was time to bid my folks goodnight as I yawned and made my way to my apartment.

...

It was now the day of the soirées. Mother asked the Merrimack in a letter before the big day if they needed assistance setting up, and they happily obliged. In order to assist with the celebration, Mother had us up early. When we got to the Merrimack's house, Emily's butler had allowed us in the door. Emily's mother assisted with table setup and gave us direction on where to place items. I moved a chair to a corner and then heard the music room's piano being performed. I followed the music as I made my way to the chamber. My gaze was drawn to Emily, who began singing. Her voice sounded like the singing of an angel. She had her hair down, a flower crown on her head, and was dressed in a blue gown. As I walked into the room, I cleared my throat. With that, Emily turned to look at me.

"Oh! Victor, didn't see you." She scoots over allowing me to take a seat next to her.

"You have a marvelous voice." I tell her as I take a seat beside her.

"Thank you."

"Are you performing?"

"Yes.. I'm actually quite nervous." Gazing at the piano, Emily clenched her hands.

"I think you'll do great."

"You think so? Would you like to hear?"

"Please! Do play." I replied with enthusiasm. Emily's fingertips slid to the piano keys. As though readying herself before she began to perform, she inhaled deeply. I listened to the beginning of her music.

"Happiness is a butterfly
Try to catch it like every night
It escapes from my hands into moonlight
Every day is a lullaby

I just wanna dance with you
Baby, I just wanna dance
With you
Baby, I just wanna dance
With you

Happiness is a butterfly
We should catch it while dancing
I lose myself in the music, baby
Every day is a lullaby
Try to catch it like lightning
I sing it into my music, I'm crazy

I just wanna dance with you
Baby, I just wanna dance
With you
Baby, I just wanna dance
With you"

~Lana Del Rey (Happiness is a butterfly)

Emily turned her head to look at me. Before I knew it, we were leaning into each other. Our lips had met. My stomach started to flutter in all directions. As soon as we broke off the kiss, Emily gasped and her eyes widened. She put her hand over her mouth.

"You have a wife!" She yelled, but she did so in a whisper. I grasped her hands.

"I'm not a husband.." As I attempted to reassure her, she raised her eyebrows in perplexity.

"I mean... I mean... I-I-I'm not wed.." I eventually spat out. Emily exhales in relief.

"Oh..." As soon as I let out a breath of relief, I realized she had a suitor!

"Wait.. Don't you have a beau?" With a dejected face, Emily's head sank low.

"A week ago, there was a disagreement between us. We are no longer having an affair."

"Then, nothing happened. We won't say anything to cause such rumor."

"Agreed." She smiled then Emily's mother walked into the music room in which Emily and I scooted away from each other.

"Em--Oh! Victor! This is where you are. Forget about that. Emily, are you ready to provide some entertainment for us?" Emily nodded yes in response to her mother's question. Rising from the duet seat, she makes the music room ready for her guests.

"I wish you well." Before I departed the room, I gave her a big thumbs up. With a chuckle, Emily went back to getting the music quarters ready.

I located my parents and Emily's parents. I was greeted with smiles, gratitude for assisting, and a lecture from my mother for disappearing. A few minutes later, Emily's butler called for us to follow him into the music chamber so we could see Emily perform. Emily was only illuminated by a single light in the pitch black. She began to play. She caught my gaze and grinned as I was staring at her in amazement. Emily began to sing once she finished her calming piano performance. The guests' expressions were amazed. While Emily's parents were snuggling together, listening to her performance, I noticed my mother tearing up in the corner of my eyes. I watched Emily sing as she put her heart into the music. Blue butterflies encircled her like a cloud, and she was radiating. Her gorgeous vermilion lips, which I had just kissed moments ago, moved so gracefully. That I got to kiss her makes me feel extraordinarily lucky. When the music began to fade, Emily finished her performance. Everybody had cheered. Emily got up from her seat and bowed. When she caught my eye, I gave her a wink. Tucking her hair behind her ear sheepishly, a smile spreading across her face. Emily is surrounded by people who are complimenting her on her performance. As I followed my parents out of the music room, I couldn't help but give Emily, who was addressing the crowd, one more look. Emily, who was stroking the spot on her lip where our lips met.

...