chapter thirteen; part 1

...

I scrubbed the soap all over my body while sitting in my tub. The pain on my elbow made me wince. I kept gazing at it. Barkis didn't mean to hurt me... He's drunk that's all.. He wouldn't hurt me.. Barkis probably won't remember. I finished my bath and changed into my nightgown. Something struck my window while I was sitting by my vanity mirror brushing my hair. I got to my feet and went to my window, startled by the noise. I opened the drapes. When I saw Barkis hurling pebbles, my eyes widened. I swiftly threw open my window.

"My lord.. What are you doing? You will awake my mother and father!" With a whispery voice, I shouted. Barkis begins to climb up my window, grabbing onto the vines to get to me.

"Emmie.. I felt terrible for what I've done to you. I came here to ask for forgiveness. I promise that I would never hurt you again." In a somber tone, he said. I clutched my elbow, where he had hurt me, and glanced at the floor.

"Did I cause you pain?" Barkis remarks as he gestures toward my elbow. With a saddening glance, he softly holds my jaw and presses his forehead to mine.

"Damn my recklessness." He starts to cry and I held back my tears. Does he really mean what he says?

"You promise?"

"Yes. I promise to never hurt you again." With his arms encircling me, he tells me. I embraced him, and Barkis lifted my chin to kiss me. A kiss that I could enjoy... I felt his tongue suddenly enter my mouth. I quickly opened my eyes and withdrew the kiss.

"We mustn't... Not until marriage." I said to him.

"You're right. We must wait til then." Barkis grinned crookedly, and we embraced once more. He gave me a forehead kiss and walked out of my window. As I closed my shades, I watched him vanish into the night. I'm hoping he will keep his promise.

...

I had been having late-night meetings with Barkis. Often, we would converse while sitting by the cozy fire in the cabin. Caressing my shoulder, Barkis was lying on his side on the settee (sofa). I was leaning against the sofa while seated on the ground.

"What a wonderful story Emmie." Barkis says.

"As a small girl, I believed it since my mother read to me all the time. Have you ever had such feelings for me?" I looked up at Barkis, and he brushed a strand of hair out of my face.

"All the time." He gives me a smile, and Barkis leans in to kiss me. I broke off the kiss after a few minutes and turned to face the clock.

"I must go."

"No, stay."

"I can't. Edith will have my head."

"Oh for fuck stakes.. Why does she have to be your lady?"

"My lord... We are close friends and I respect her title." Barkis sighed with annoyance at my response.

"Well... perhaps you are right. Oh! I had forgotten, a friend of mine is celebrating his anniversary next Wednesday. Come and join me, eh?(confirmation eh)"

"You know my father won't allow unless he knows them."

"Oh he does, it is his long distinct relative." Barkis smugly smirked. He pulls an envelope out of his vest and gives it to me.

"Now, tell your butler that your folks received a invitation letter and give him this." Barkis drops a little brown sack into my hand, which I opened to reveal it contained shillings.

"I... I cannot.. I won't. This is payola(blackmail/bribe) and it harm our reputation." I tell him, fretfully. Barkis takes the bag out of my hand and stuffs it back into his vest.

"Must I do everything myself?" Barkis mumbled. In shock, I sat there.

"Don't fret, I'll send it to your butler. First thing at dawn." After giving me a forehead kiss, he states, he exited the cabin. I hastily threw on my fur cloak and ran home, being cautious to avoid my housekeepers as I entered.

...

The butler arrived to tell my mother and me that my father had received a letter from an elderly cousin while we were in the tea room. Sipping my tea calmly, I listened to my father read the letter.

"Strange.. My distant relative invited me to his anniversary celebration. This can't be right." To ensure he read the letter correctly, my father puts on his spectacles and goes back to read it again. Mother leaned in close to read. I turned to face the window and peered at anything to avoid raising any suspicions because I had been advised not to participate in my parents' talk.

"You didn't read it wrong, my dear. It says that we've been invited to your relative's party." My father knitted his brows in perplexity as my mother told him.

"We haven't spoken in years, let alone why on earth would he invite me?"

"Oh, I don't know? Maybe he wants to rekindle?"

"Hmm... I suppose so." Instantaneously, my parents consent to attend the celebration. Later that evening, I had a meeting with Barkis to share the good news.

...

Genevieve had brought me a gown that she had chosen for me. It was a cream-colored off the shoulders corset gown with yellow flowers and lace embroidery. There were two large light blue bows at the waist, and the gown's bottom was ruffled. It was providing a respectable but sultry vibe. I love it. She assisted me in putting on the gown and quickly completed my makeup. She applied oil on my eyelids, blending the black liner to my temple, applying mascaro on the upper and lower lashes, and finishing with a sparkling pink lip rouge. My hair is pulled up in a tail by Genevieve, who curls the ends of my hair and lets a couple of hair strands fall across my side and face. She reached for the necklace of pearls; they were piled on top of one another, with a tiny gold piece embellished with rhinestones in the middle. With my shoes, Genevieve completes the ensemble. I had never seen such gorgeous shoes before. The interior of the heels included tulle ruffles and tiny pearls encircling the lace-covered heels. A little gold pension with a miniature of a outline lady's shadow was located on the front of the heels. It complemented the hue of my clothing. I took a look at myself in the mirror that Genevieve provided me. My eyes widened in surprise at the beautiful artwork Genevieve created on me.

"Oh Genevieve! It's so stunning!"She giggled as I gave her a hard embrace in response to my exclamation.

"It is my pleasure, dear Emily. I love doing cosmetic on people especially you." Genevieve stated.

"You did a splendid job!" I tell her once again, I was unable to look away from my reflection. Upon hearing my mother's call, I quickly raced downstairs to see my parents.

...