Chapter 13

The morning after their night at the club, Marima and Heidi decided it was time to check up on Charlotte. Concerned for their friend, they made their way to her house, arriving shortly after Mark had left for the day.

Charlotte, still feeling the effects of the previous night, welcomed her friends with a surprised expression. She wasn't expecting visitors so early.

Marima: (Friendly) "Hey, Charlotte! We thought we'd drop by and hang out for a bit. Hope we're not intruding."

Charlotte: (Smiling) "Of course not! It's always great to see you both."

They started with casual conversations about work and other mundane topics, but Marima and Heidi couldn't help but sense that something was amiss. They exchanged subtle glances before Marima decided to step up.

Marima: (Directly) "Charlotte, we noticed something yesterday. Did you meet Engfa somewhere other than when we were with you?"

Charlotte's heart skipped a beat, and she tried to act normal.

Charlotte: (Nervously) "Engfa? No, why would you think that? I mean….where would I meet her?"

Heidi: (Softly) "Charlotte, you don't have to hide anything from us. We're your friends, and we can tell that something's not quite right."

Charlotte hesitated but couldn't bring herself to express her feelings about Engfa. Instead, she decided to shift the focus.

Charlotte: "What does this have to do with Engfa anyway? I mean, it's not like we're close or anything."

Heidi, with genuine concern, leaned closer.

Heidi: (Softly) "Hey, Charlotte, we're just trying to be here for you. We noticed you were uneasy with Mark after Engfa arrived. And there were those glances between you two. You can talk to us about it."

Marima nodded in agreement, showing her support for their friend.

Marima: (Encouraging) "Yeah, Charlotte, we're not judging. We just want to make sure you're okay."

Charlotte sighed, realizing her friends were genuinely worried about her. She decided to share a piece of her feelings, without revealing everything about her complicated situation.

Charlotte: (Hesitating) "Well, it's not really about Engfa. It's just... I'm not sure about Mark."

Marima and Heidi exchanged concerned glances, recognizing that there was more to the story than Charlotte was letting on.

Charlotte took a deep breath, trying to put her swirling emotions into words.

Charlotte: (Anxiously) "I mean, Mark is great, and I care about him, but sometimes, I feel like something's missing. It's not fair to him, and I don't know what to do."

Marima and Heidi listened attentively, understanding that their friend was facing a tough decision.

Heidi: (Supportive) "Charlotte, it's okay to have doubts and uncertainties. Relationships can be complicated. Have you talked to Mark about how you're feeling?"

Charlotte: (Sighing) "I want to, but I don't want to hurt him. He's such a sweet guy, and I don't want to be the one to break his heart."

Marima: (Empathetic) "We get it, Charlotte. Relationships are about communication and honesty. If you're feeling this way, it's better to address it sooner rather than later. It's not fair to either of you to be in a relationship where you're not fully invested."

Charlotte nodded, her shoulders sagging with the weight of her emotions.

Heidi: (Comforting) "We're here for you, no matter what you decide. And remember, it's okay to prioritize your own happiness."

Charlotte managed a weak smile, appreciating her friends' support.

Charlotte: (Gratefully) "Thanks, guys. I really needed to talk about this. You've been such great friends."

Marima: (Smiling) "That's what friends are for, Charlotte. We're here to help you through the ups and downs of life."

********

Meanwhile, days had passed since the club encounter, and Engfa was struggling. She found herself caught in a whirlwind of emotions she couldn't control. To cope with her overwhelming feelings and the fear of getting hurt again, she turned to drinking, starting a dangerous daily habit.

Tina, who had witnessed Engfa's previous struggles during her breakup, was deeply concerned. She knew this pattern all too well.

Tina attempted to talk to Engfa about her drinking, worried about her well-being, but Engfa resisted.

Tina: (Concerned) "Engfa, we need to talk about this. You can't keep going on like this. I've seen what happened last time."

Engfa, still reeling from her unspoken feelings for Charlotte, was shutting everyone out. During the day, she threw herself into her work nonstop, and at night, she drowned her sorrows with alcohol.

Days turned into nights, and Engfa's life became a blur of performances, alcohol, and solitude. She couldn't escape the memories of Charlotte and the pain of their unspoken connection.

Tina's efforts to help Engfa fell on deaf ears as Engfa continued down a path of self-destruction. The shadow of her past heartbreak and the uncertainty of her feelings for Charlotte loomed large, and Engfa struggled to find a way out of the darkness.

The unspoken tensions between Charlotte and Engfa were now mirrored in their individual battles, each trying to navigate their feelings in their own way.