14. Cursed technique

You were doing okay fighting the cursed spirit, imbuing your hands and nails with cursed energy.

Tearing the flesh of the cursed spirit who yelped in pain, you let out a yell of surprise as yuji flew past you, straight into an add screen showing an 'Home Run !'.

"Yuji !"

He quickly gave you a thumb up and listened to Nanami. You, on the other hand, kinda gave up, just staying on par with your opponent.

Seemingly tired of fighting, you pounced on the spirit, knees bend as you steadied yourself on it's shoulders as it swayed back and forth.

"This is just..annoying !"

You cursed under your breath, nails digging on either side of the curse's head before tearing it off, flinching slightly at the red blood splattering on your face and clothes.

You jumped off as the curse laid limp in front of you, shivering at the gross wet noise it made when it fell to the ground.

You quickly let go of it's head, trying to shake the dripping blood off of your hands and then trying to wipe it off your cheeks with the back of your hand.

"I can't believe I just did that.."

Nanami's mouth was agap, just as he realised what was wrong with those so-called "cursed spirit", you had to pull of that stunt of yours..?

"L/N-chan.."

Yuji's voice was shaky as he glanced between the decapited "cursed spirit" and then back at you.

"W-what ? Did I do something wrong ? Was I not supposed to-"

"Listen to me carefully, L/N-chan. What we've been fighting.."

,,,

Sitting down on the couch next to Yuji, you kept your head hung low as your leg bounced nervously while listening to Shoko's voice over the phone on speaker.

"They're humains. Well, former humains. They're the same as the three from the theater."

"The structure of their bodies was forcibly altered by a cursed technique."

You felt like you were going to throw up.

You placed a hand in front of your mouth, eyebrows furrowing as you teared up a bit.

The frustration you took out on that cursed spirit..turned out to be a humain ? You killed it in such an aggressive way, too..

"If that was all, I would have noticed at the start."

Said Nanami as he handed both you and Yuji a towel, his gaze lingering on your form. He could almost see the guilt oozing out of it.

"The three we fought were full of cursed energy, like cursed spirits."

"You'll have to ask the culprit about their cursed technique to explain that."

Nanami's adam apple bobbed up and down as he swallowed thickly, leaning back on the sofa and spreading his legs slightly.

He seemed bothered by your states.

It's normal for someone young and new to the job of sorcerer to react like that, but..

He couldn't help but think back of an old friend of his as he stared at you and Yuji.

You and Yuji are so expressive and compassionate, he was scared a slip of the tongue would happen and he'd call one of you by his name instead of yours.

"Though there is evidence that their brain stems were tampered with, most likely to create a state or confusion and impaired consciousness."

"If they can tamper with the brain, it might be possible for them to modify someone to be able to use cursed energy."

"The relationship between brain and cursed energy is still a black box to us."

"Oh, right, are Itadori and L/N listening ?"

"Oh, yeah.."

"Mhm.."

You answered in a meek voice, struggling to get words out of your throat after what happened.

"To sum it up, these guys dief of shock from having their bodies modified."

"You didn't kill them."

You glanced at Yuji, noticing how he also seemed deep in thoughts, somewhat as lost as you.

"So don't get the wrong idea about that."

,,,,

"I've organized the reports from our windows, on recent residuals, unnatural deaths, and disappearances."

Listening carefully, you brought your knees back up to your chest as you sat on the chair, a small sigh leaving your lips as you just silently looked at Nanami explaining.

"This should help us narrow down the culprit's hideout to some extent."

Yuji stood up, seemingly full of energy as he pumped his fists up.*

"Aw, yeah ! Are we storming in ?!"

Nanami shook his head no as an answer, lowering his hand.

"No, it's still only to some extent. While I continue investigating this matter, i'd like you two to handle a different task."

Nanami raised a picture up before pinning it on the map.

"This is the boy who was at the theater, Yoshino Junpei. Apparently he goes to the same high school as victims."

Turning on the tv for camera footage, Nanami made sure the two of you were focused before playing it.

"Based on the surveillance footage and how he carried himself, I believe it was unlikely he could be a curse user."

Nanami then turned back to the two of you, raising his hand back up slightly.

"However, if he's related to the victims, that changes things."

"Curse user ?"

"An evil jujutsu sorcerer,"

He paused, eyebrows furrowing before he huffed a little in frustration and shook his head, looking back at You and Yuji

"I've entrusted the process to Ijichi-kun, so i'd like you three to investigate Yoshino Junpei."