Book 2 - Chapter 10

Since the disastrous episode that was the pixies, Lockhart had not brought live creatures to class again. Instead, he read passages from his books aloud, and sometimes reenacted some of the more dramatic scenes. And, somehow, so far Lockhart had done three of these reenactments, and two out of the three had been incredibly offensive to the vampire girl that was sat in his class, that he apparently still didn't recognize to be a vampire.

Lockhart usually picked Harry to help him with these reconstructions. The first time, Harry was forced to play a 'simple Transylvanian villager' whom Lockhart had cured of a Babbling Curse. Lockhart would not move on with the scene until Harry did a horrible 'Transylvanian accent,' as Lockhart called it, and Harry was making apologetic eyes at Ellie as he spoke. The second reenactment, Harry was a yeti with a head cold. The third, a vampire who had been unable to eat anything except lettuce since Lockhart had dealt with him. During this particular reenactment, the room was violently silent, with Lockhart somehow unable to since the awkward lull that had fallen over his students who were usually full of sniggers and fake enthusiasm. When Lockhart had forced Harry to 'try sucking the blood out of a head of lettuce,' Ellie got up and went to the bathroom and didn't come back.

Today in Defense Against the Dark Arts another reenactment was upon them. Ellie had taken her seat near the back of the classroom, a table to herself. She was fingering a piece of parchment that had been delivered to her that morning: an owl from her father that she was too scared to open.

As Lockhart took to the front of the classroom and announced the plan for the day, Ellie slumped back into her seat, ready to watch whatever horrible scene was about to unfold. She knew whatever he was about to make Harry do would be ridiculous, but was sure there was no way he could offend her any further. So, she got comfortable, and calmed her mind in order to keep her sniggers at bay.

Harry was hauled to the front of the class. Ellie, Ron, and Hermione were shooting him looks and thumbs up.

"Sell it!" Ellie mouthed, with a wink, to Harry as he trudged to the front of the classroom.

Ellie's playful demeanor turned sour when Lockhart announced what scene he would be doing today.

Lockhart's part: himself. Harry's part: a werewolf.

"Nice loud howl, Harry," (Harry howled pitifully), "exactly - and then, if you'll believe it, I pounced - like this - slammed him to the floor - thus - with one hand, I managed to hold him down - with my other, I put my wand to his throat - I then screwed up my remaining strength and performed the immensely complex Homorphus Charm - he let out a piteous moan - go on, Harry," (Harry barely made a noise), "higher than that," (Harry moaned awkwardly), "good - the fur vanished - the fangs shrank - and he turned back into a man. Simple, yet effective - and another village will remember me forever as the hero who delivered them from the monthly terror of werewolf attacks."

Ellie's jaw was practically on the desk. She watched as Lockhart released Harry from his grip, leaving him to lay strangely on the floor at the front of the class. Thankfully, the scene was equally horrific for the entire class to watch, and it wasn't only Ellie who was left astounded, and she wouldn't have to explain her exasperation caused by the scene.

The bell rang as Harry got up to his feet.

"Homework - complete a poem about my defeat of the Wagga Wagga Werewolf! Signed copies of Magical Me to the author of the best one!"

The class began to leave and Harry returned to the back of the classroom where Ellie, Ron, and Hermione were waiting for him.

"Ready?" Harry muttered.

"Wait till everyone's gone," said Hermione nervously. "All right. . ."

Harry began to approach Lockhart's desk, rather too slowly, and moved faster as Ellie gave him a light shove on the back. Ron and Hermione were right behind him. Harry's hand was clenching tightly onto a piece of paper, as was Ellie's as she waited, back by the desks.