Book 2 - Chapter 14

A/N

Hello! Just here for a quick (early) THANK YOU for (almost) 4k reads and 200 votes!

I'll be back to say thanks again when it happens for real, for real. Until then, here's Chapter 14, clocking in at 8,917 words! Enjoy!

~ Erin 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If I'd sprouted whiskers, I'd take a break from work," Ron said as he flopped into a chair by Hermione's hospital bed. Ellie was tipping a stack of books onto Hermione's bedside table, Harry handing her a stack of parchment. 

"You take a break from work every day, and last time I checked, you have don't whiskers, Ronald," said Ellie as the last book dropped from the top of the stack and tumbled to the floor with a loud clap. Ron jumped at the sound. 

"She's right you know. I've got to keep up," Hermione said briskly. Her spirits were greatly improved by the fact that all the hair had gone from her face and her eyes were turning slowly back to brown. It had been a few weeks since the Polyjuice incident, and Hermione was changing back into herself, slowly, but steadily. 

"What's that?" Harry asked, the attention of his three friends following his pointed finger. There was something gold sticking out from under Hermione's pillow. 

"Oh, just a get well card," said Hermione hastily, trying to shove the card out of view, but Ellie was too quick. In a flash, she had wrestled the card out of Hermione's grasp. Ellie was considerably more rested after her Christmas Holiday, her mind clear, and she could practically feel Hermione's movements before she made them. 

Ellie backed away from the hospital bed, out of Hermione's grip, and flicked the card open. Her eyes scanned it quickly before a devious smirk spread across her face. She cleared her throat and began to read the card aloud in a dramatic, flouncy voice. 

"To Miss Granger, wishing you a speedy recovery, from your concerned teacher, Professor Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five time winner of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award." 

Ellie made an over-embellished wink and flashed a toothy Lockhart smile as she handed the card back to Hermione. 

Ron was looking at Hermione, disgusted. 

"You sleep with that under your pillow?"

Hermione was spared answering his question by Madam Pomfrey sweeping over with an evening dose of medication. The matron ushered a disappointed looking Harry and a disgusted looking Ron out of the Hospital Wing for the evening, along with Ellie, who was cracking up at her own performance. 

~~~

"Is Lockhart the smarmiest bloke you've ever met, or what?" Ron said as they left the infirmary. The boys were about the split ways with Ellie, them heading for Gryffindor Tower, her the dungeons, before Ron stopped briefly in the middle of the corridor. "I forgot to ask Hermione, but you'll do Dracula. How many rat tails are you supposed to add into a Hair-Raising Poti-" 

An angry outburst from the floor above them filled their ears, cutting Ron off. 

"That's Filch," Harry muttered before taking off up the stairs. 

"You don't think someone else's been attacked?" asked Ron as they were paused, out of sight, listening hard. 

"Well, if you shh -" started Ellie. Filch's voice rang through the corridors again, sounding quite hysterical. 

" -even more work for me! Mopping all night, like I haven't got enough to do! No, this is the final straw. I'm going to Dumbledore -" 

His footsteps receded along the out-of-sight corridor and from the distance, they heard a door slam. One by one, Ellie, Ron, and Harry poked their heads around the corner. Filch had been manning his usual lookout post. They were there once again, the spot where Mrs. Norris had been attacked. They saw at a glance what Filch had been shouting about. A great flood of water stretched over half the corridor, and it looked as if it was still seeping out from under the door of Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.