Book 4 - Chapter 13

Through the gates, flanked with statues of winged boars, and up the sweeping drive, the carriages trundled along, swaying dangerously in what was fast becoming a gale. Leaning against the window, Ellie could see Hogwarts coming nearer, its many lighted windows blurred and shimmering behind the thick curtain of rain. Lightning flashed across the sky as their carriage came to a halt before the great oak front doors, which stood at the top of a flight of stone steps that Ellie knew very well. The people who had occupied the carriages in front of them were already hurrying up the steps and into the castle. Ellie was the last one out, taking Fred's hand just as she had when she got in. Lee Jordan, George, and Fred and Ellie dashed up the steps, looking up only when they were safely inside the cavernous, torch-lit Entrance Hall, with its magnificent marble staircase.

"Blimey," said George, shaking his head and sending water everywhere, "if that keeps up the lake's going to overflow. I'm soaked."

"Mr. Weasley," a strict voice came magically from their side.

It was Professor McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress and head of Gryffindor House. She was standing right next to the four of them, water from George's hair splashed up and into her face.

"Professor McGonagall," George said with a cheery, apologetic voice and a sheepish smile. "I didn't see you there. . ." his voice trailed off with an awkward laugh.

"Clearly."

"We'll just go then, shall we?" Fred said, diffusing the situation, smiling as well, "it's good to see you, Professor."

And at that, Fred wrangled his twin around the neck, grabbed one of Ellie's hands, and ushered Lee Jordan forward across the Entrance Hall and through the large double doors that lead into the Great Hall. There was a group of fifth year girls that had run inside and were pushing behind them, trying to get as far away from the pouring rain as they could. Lee Jordan swore loudly at them once they were inside and the girls hurried over to their table, not daring to look back at the group of four.

"Hey, - stop that. You'll hurt yourself," said Fred, once George and Lee headed off to the Gryffindor table. He and Ellie were standing off to the side of the Great Hall, Fred pulling Ellie's bottom lip out from between her teeth with his thumb. Two red, weeping dots were left behind.

"Sorry," Ellie mumbled, "didn't even notice I was doing it." She licked her lips and a familiar taste spread across her tongue. Ellie tried to ignore the flavor.

"You don't have to apologize," Fred said earnestly. He was looking at her like he didn't want to split ways to their respective House tables.

"I'm going to be in the same room, Freddie," Ellie said, catching onto his face. "My seat is right opposite yours."

"Yeah, with that egg-head right in between us," Fred scoffed. He was talking about Malfoy. No matter where they were sitting, when Ellie was with her Slytherin friends, Malfoy was always sat directly across from her.

"Egg-head," Ellie laughed, "that's a new one."

"Well - his head is eggish, isn't -"

"Move."

Ron, Harry, and Hermione had just entered the Great Hall, somehow, more sopping wet than any of the rest of the students in the castle were. Ron looked to be in a very bad mood, and his hair was dripping down on his forehead. As soon as he saw Fred, he grabbed him by the arm and started dragging him away.

"Go sit at your own table," Ron grumbled.

Ellie watched Ron drag Fred away, scoffed at him, and had no choice but to do what he said - which deeply irritated her.