Book 3 - Chapter 18

"Here."

Ellie's book was covered by a mass of gray and green fabric that was thrown over her head into her lap.

"Thanks," she replied. "You didn't have to chuck it at my head though."

Malfoy didn't reply. Ellie heard the leather couch decompress behind her. She was sitting on the floor, back leaning against the coffee table, feet tucked under her legs. She had a book in her hands but to say she was reading it would've been a stretch. She was looking at the words and by the time she got the end of her page, she would have to restart at the top because somewhere in between her mind had continued to drift off to other things.

Malfoy had her sweatshirt for a week. Ellie was beginning to think he'd never return it. But, there it was, now balled up in her lap.

"Hard time sleeping again?" Ellie asked casually. She had re-opened her book, but again, she wasn't reading it.

"Something of the sort," Malfoy said back.

"Hm." Ellie's eyes scanned the page in front of her and a thought popped into her head. "How did you know?" was all she said out loud as her thoughts began to pick themselves up.

"Very specific, Dracula. Do you always have such a way with words or -"

"Shut up," Ellie huffed. "How did you know that Sirius Black was Harry's godfather?" Ellie's words echoed off the empty common room floors. She was remembering the day Malfoy teased Harry in potions at the beginning of the school year.

"Took you long enough to figure out," Malfoy scoffed.

"You didn't answer my question."

"Father went to school at the same time as Black. Practically anyone, who knew anyone, who knew Black, knows."

"I didn't know," said Ellie quietly. "How much do you know, about Sirius Black?"

Malfoy sighed. Ellie could tell he didn't want to answer her question, but he had nothing better to do at the moment.

"Sirius Black graduated Hogwarts and turned to the Dark Lord. Not surprising really, the Black family is one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. He sold Potter's parents out to the Dark Lord and -"

"What?!" Ellie turned to face the blond.

Malfoy cocked his head in delight.

"You don't know." A sinister smile spread across his lips. "Dracula, how about you tell me what you know about Sirius Black."

"My dad told me that Sirius Black was one of Voldemort's supporters and - and that he killed those people in the street. Thirteen people - one curse. He's a murderer."

Malfoy shook his head and scoffed.

"I told you your dad was good at keeping secrets."

"What do you mean?" Ellie asked. She knew her dad liked to withhold information, she just wanted Malfoy to keep going with his story, but he was having too much fun being right.

"Black's a murderer - that much is right. But you're missing the bigger picture. Sirius Black is the reason Potter's parents died, he sold them out to the Dark Lord - he was playing both sides. And those people in the street, he didn't care about killing the muggles. He was after their other friend, Preston, or whatever his name was - I can't remember," said Malfoy with the wave of his hand.

"Other friend?" Ellie asked in disbelief.

"Black, Potter, Loony Lupin, and the other one - Pablo, I think. Father doesn't like having to repeat himself - he only mentioned the name once or twice."