Book 3 - Chapter 14

"You're not actually wearing that, are you?"

"What's wrong with it?" Ellie was looking down at her outfit. She stood in the middle of the dormitory with Daphne and Pansy hovering around her like personal stylists.

"She's right," said Daphne. "White isn't for you, you're to. . . white. Here - put this one on instead." Daphne grabbed a black long-sleeved turtle neck from the pile of clothes on the floor at their feet and shoved it into Ellie's hands.

"Better?" asked Ellie, now wearing the black version of the shirt she just had on.

"Much." Daphne was tilting her head, deep in thought as she examined Ellie's clothes.

"Still - jeans?" asked Pansy, pointing to Ellie's dark gray pants. They were just normal jeans, cuffed at the bottom to show her sneakers poking out from under them.

"Pans, it's practically November," said Ellie.

"And you're going on a date -"

"It's not a date," Ellie corrected quickly.

"Sure. . ." Daphne and Pansy were looking at each other a moment, giggling before Pansy returned to stylist mode. "And what's it matter to you anyways. Unless its raining fire or two hundred below zero, you don't feel the temperature."

Ellie scoffed, even though what Pansy had said was true.

"I wear a skirt everyday, I'm keeping the jeans. Now, what else?"

"You wear those everyday too," said Pansy matter-of-factly, pointing to Ellie's shoes.

"You're going to have to pry them off my dead body first." Ellie was completely serious and even Daphne seemed disappointed that she refused to change them out for a different pair of shoes.

"Here, try this," Daphne shoved another article of clothing into Ellie's hands. It was a fluffy, lilac purple jumper with big round buttons on the front. Ellie looked like she had just been handed a pile of wriggling bugs.

"Now, Daph. . . I don't doubt this color looks very lovely on you but. . ." Ellie's eyes drifted to her pile of clothes on the floor. Everything was either black, brown, gray, or the dark, muted version of the colors that made up Daphne's closest. There was maroon, not red, navy blue, not teal or sky blue, and forest green, no neons.

"Just try it," Daphne urged, pushing it into Ellie's chest even more. Ellie's face cringed harder than either of the two Slytherin girls had ever seen it cringe before.

"Greengrass, I think you're killing her," said Pansy, snatching the purple furry sweater away. Ellie's face went back to normal. "Yep, that almost killed her."

"Fine," Daphne huffed, digging through Ellie's pile. "I don't know how you wear these. . . it's so depressing. . . this looks like something my grandpa probably died in. . . I think a bug chewed a hole in this. . . Ellie - I actually think I saw your dad wearing this yesterday."

"Oh, he was. We have matching sweaters," said Ellie innocently.

"Oh, Dracula. No. . . that's not. . ." Pansy was shaking her head.

"Here," said Daphne at once, shoving a sweater so dark purple it looked black into Ellie's arms. It was big, chunky, and knitted, with three buttons on the front that could be done up, or left open. Oddly enough, it complemented the color of Ellie's under-eyes.

"Better?" asked Ellie as Daphne buttoned up the buttons for her.

"Yes, much. Though I think the other purple -"