Book 4 - Chapter 14

Hello everybody!

This is the first fresh chapter I've written in a few months, so I hope it's up to par! Expect slightly shorter chapters from this point on, but that just means there will be more chapters, more updates, and I'll probably be able to get them out a lot faster and a lot more frequently that before!

Also, for some reason that I have no explanation for, I feel like this one needs a TRIGGER WARNING. I know I've never given warnings on any of the other chapters and some gnarly stuff has happened, but this one just felt different. There is some animal violence/abuse in this chapter that isn't normal to the Harry Potter Universe, so - READ AT YOUR OWN VOLITION.

Other than that, I'm happy to be back, writing for all of you. I've missed it dearly and can't wait to let you all in on what's happening with Ellie in fourth year!

~Erin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ellie stared up at the ceiling of her four poster bed. The room was dark enough that the emerald green velvet that she knew to be hovering above her didn't look emerald green. It was black, and no matter how many times she blinked at it and no matter how hard she willed it to turn green, it remained black. She sighed quietly to herself and threw her body onto her right shoulder, looking towards Pansy's bed.

Over the summer Pansy Parkinson must have taken her interest in the Holyhead Harpies to the next level. She had a poster, a woman flying around on a broomstick, stuck on the wall over her bedside table and on the bedside table itself, there was a piece of parchment. She didn't tell either Ellie nor Daphne what it was or why she shoved it in the drawer every time either of them got close to her bed, but Ellie had seen Pansy pick the parchment up that night before bed and read what was written on it to herself, whispering the words between her lips and letting them fall into her lap. Ellie snuck a peak at the parchment, well - she snuck a peak into Pansy's head while she was reading the words to herself that night; it was a list of affirmations, most of them Quidditch related, and it looked like Pansy was interested in joining the Slytherin Quidditch team that term. One of them, however, wasn't Quidditch related and Ellie gave her snooping away when she sat up in bed and made direct eye-contact with Pansy as she finished reading, stern faced, asking why the last line said, "I can help Dracula out of the ginger's grips."

Ellie squinted at Pansy. She looked peaceful, asleep and snoring lightly. Ellie flipped over to her other shoulder, now facing Daphne's bed.

Daphne Greengrass looked like a princess; she always looked like a princess. Ellie stared at the blurry, princessy outline of the blonde girl, thinking of nothing in particular, just taking in the sight. Daphne's hair was long and, even from that distance, looked as soft as the blankets that were on her bed. Every year that passed, Daphne would come back to school sweeter, prettier, more flawless than the last. She never was in trouble, she never looked a mess; she was perfectly Daphne Greengrass. Ellie wondered what life would be like in Daphne's shoes, glittery and without a single problem in the world.

Ellie sighed again.

She pushed herself up into a sitting position in her bed, didn't check to make sure Marshall was still snuggled up under the covers and swung her legs over the side of her mattress. Ellie's feet hit the floor with a soft tap and she was through the bathroom door seconds later. She closed the door behind her as softly as possible, trying not to wake the other two girls up, and Ellie blinked at the mirror on the wall above the sink.

Nothing looked back at her.

Ellie moved forward, getting closer to the glass, tilting her head like she was trying to outsmart the thing. She reached a finger forward and gently touched the cold reflection of the shower wall behind her.