Book 3 - Chapter 16

"Wait, hold on." Ellie tucked her legs under herself and sat on the end of the bed. "You fell fifty feet - off your broom - and didn't die?" Her elbows were resting on her thighs as she whispered, trying not to catch the attention of the matron who was going around the Infirmary and kicking out late night visitors.

"Yes. I told you, the ground was soft from all the rain," Harry whispered back.

"Why were there dementors on the Quidditch pitch anyways?" Ellie asked, not understanding Harry's story. From what she knew, he was an exceptional seeker(?) but somehow always ended up in the Hospital Wing after his matches.

"I don't know," Harry whispered back, sounding deeply agitated that he didn't have any more of an idea of what had happened at the match than Ellie did. "But, there was something else -"

"What?" asked Ellie, intrigued. It wasn't often that she got to speak to Harry alone and usually conversations like these ended up being important.

"Well, it's two things actually. . . Do you remember - on the train - when the dementors came on and we. . ."

"Passed out?" asked Ellie bluntly.

"Yeah. . ." said Harry, sounding embarrassed. "And you said you heard screams and noises and I said I had too." Ellie nodded. "I think I figured out what those screams were, who they were, rather. . . I heard them again, but this time they were talking. It was my mum - when she was murdered."

Harry was looking at her like he didn't want to say anything more, and he didn't have to. Ellie was quick to put the pieces together that back on the train, what she heard was the same thing, the scream, the squelch, the tumbling and crashing.

"And the second thing?" Ellie asked quietly, knowing that neither of them really wanted to sit there and talk about their dead parents.

Harry hesitated a minute.

"I-it was really dark and rainy, and I could've been mistaken - but I think I saw the Grim again, sitting in the stands. It looked like the same one I saw over the summer when I had run out of the Dursley's."

"The Grim?" Ellie questioned.

"Remember, the first day of classes the whole Divination class was scared because my tea leaves -"

"Oh, yes, right - I remember. The Grim, the dog, the death omen. How could I forget," said Ellie sarcastically.

"Look, I haven't even told Ron and Hermione because, you know them. Ron will freak out and Hermione will be. . . Hermione. But it's a little weird, isn't it? I see the Grim twice and twice something bad happens!" Harry whisper shouted.

"It is odd, but - like I said, bad things happening aren't really new to you, to me, to us, are they?" Ellie whispered back.

"No. You're right. . . I do hate those dementors though," Harry groaned. "I wish there was something I could do to get rid of them."

"Why don't you find a way to get rid of them then?" Ellie asked as if was the simplest solution.

"Why, I wished I had thought of that, thanks," whispered Harry.

"No," Ellie said back, squinting at the boy. She stared at him a moment. "Come on, Harry, think."

"You know, your dad is a lot nicer to me than you are," Harry muttered.

Ellie raised her eyebrows and wiggled them, suggesting Harry was on the correct knowledge path that she was talking about.

"Your dad?"