Chapter 16: Fishy business

Rose's POV

Since our night together at the healing pool, I couldn't help but feel depressed. Once we had gotten ready, and I made my way out to meet up with Matthew, he wouldn't even look at me. He would say a few words to me every now and then, but it only ever was about meeting up with Philip. Either that, or he would tell me to stay close by. As we left the cave, we met up with Max in the center room where all of the other werewolves usually spent their time.

My only reason for not telling Matthew the names of the people that did those things to me, was to protect Philip. He himself was a victim of Veronica, and I couldn't let Matthew hurt him over something that he had no control of to begin with.

Now we were here, walking in the forest towards the beach that was just a few minutes away. As Matthew walked ahead of us both, Max would nudge me, and I would look up at him. I was never really good at hiding my feelings. He would whisper to me.

Max: "What the heck happened? You guys were inseparable not to long ago?"

My lips would quiver as I tried to tell him without bursting into tears.

Rose: "He said... that he didn't want to be together anymore... he feels like he's a danger to me."

Max would sigh.

Max: "Of course he did. What a dummy."

Rose: "Well maybe he's right... what if we're just a danger to each other...what if he's the next one to be in danger... after everything I went through... I... I couldn't bare knowing that something like that would happen to him... Maybe it's better this way."

Max would ponder a bit on what I said, but would respond.

Max: "You know... I'm jealous of what you guys have..."

I was surprised.

Rose: "What?.. why?"

He would smile at me.

Max: "Well... now you guys know that you're soulmates right? You two clearly care for each other... so much so that you'd do anything to keep each other safe. Even if you make yourself suffer... it's... something I've never had with a person... but I wish I did."

Rose: "... It is something special... And I'm sure you'll find that someone Max... you deserve it..."

He would smile at me.

Max: "And I'm sure that this will blow over soon. He's just being that macho man that he is."

I would smile as well.

Max: "Yes! I got you to smile. About time. You've been moping since we left."

I would giggle a bit.

Rose: "Thank you Max."

Max: "Of course."

Matthew: "Alright, we're here."

As we walked across a small wooden bridge, we would eventually make it to the sandy beaches of Compton. I saw a blue light streaming across the edge of the ocean, and as I slowly inched closer and closer, I realized that it was bioluminescence.