Zara kabhi meri nazar se khud ko dekh bhi

The afternoon had passed with laughter and joy floating in the air of the living room. It was time for them to leave. Maahi urged them all to stay for dinner, but only Vivaan caved to the request.

"Sorry, darling, I've got work. I'll go see Adi too; he must be home by now," Miraya said with a smile.

"I need to get to an extremely important meeting. I can't stay either. But next time, for sure," Ruhaan remarked as he reached for his car keys.

"How are you going to go?", Maahi asked Miraya, "Didn't mami call for the driver?"

"How could I forget!" Miraya smacked herself on the head in response. "No issue. I'll call for a cab.

"Arre why? I'll just be travelling that way. I'll take you home," mentioned Ruhaan.

"No no. You don't have to. I'll take a cab", Miraya stressed.

"Why not! He promised to drop you na." Not allowing Miraya to continue, Maahi added, "It will also be safer."

"but"

"No buts! Maahi has a point. Ruhaan will safely take you home", Vivaan said, cutting off any conversation.

Vivaan announced his departure from the group and added, "I'll just be back from the restroom."

The doorbell rang just then. When Maahi glanced at the clock, she remarked, "It must be mum." Miraya tensed up at the comment. "Damn it", she said to herself. "So close."

"Did you say something?" Ruhaan inquired after hearing a noise. She shook her head rapidly in disapproval.

Chanda's resounding voice could be heard throughout the home's hallways. She was notified by the housekeeper that the group was in the living room. She walked towards the living room while clicking her heels on the marble floor.

As soon as Miraya saw Chanda enter, she put on a brave face and stepped in for a hug, saying, "Namaste bua! Kese ho aap?" (Greetings aunt. How are you?)

"Mien to theek hu beta! Par tu vese ki vesi hi hai. Miene jo dietician and gym instructor ka number bheja tha vo use nahi kiya hoga tune. You appear to have gained more weight." She said, grinning widely, "Ab ye to hoga hi agar salads khane ki jagah log ice-cream khaenge", looking at Miraya from top to bottom. (I'm well but you're just the same. Looks like you didn't use the dietician and instructor's number I had sent you. Now that is bound to happen, if people have ice-creams when they should be having salads.)

Maahi grumbled at her mother's routines and turned her focus elsewhere, saying, "Ma! You know Ruhaan." Ruhaan was still processing what Chanda had just said to Miraya as stepped closer to where Miraya was standing. He bent down to touch Chanda's feet, but he was focused on Miraya's expressionless face instead.

"Jeetey raho beta. Kese ho aap?" (Bless you son! How are you?)

"I'm fine, auntie." Ruhaan said curtly, keeping his gaze fixed on Miraya while she remained motionless.

"I'm fantastic!" She grinned at him and added, "Wedding shopping hi karke aa rahi hu, so even better."  She looked around but couldn't see Vivaan, so she asked, "Where's Vivaan?" (I just came back from wedding shopping. So even better.)

"He is in the restroom. Don't worry. He's going to stay for dinner." Maahi replied, "I asked them both too, but they're rejecting." She went to Miraya's side and held her hand to try and comfort her.

"arre why! I mean Miraya's, I understand. She should be skipping dinner if she wants to lose any of that weight.", she said pointing a finger at Miraya. "But why are you not staying?", she said turning in Ruhaan's direction.