Aise chale jab hawa

Ruhaan turned the key with a soft click, causing the engine to roar, while Miraya fastened the seatbelt.

Ruhaan asked, "ready?" while glancing at Miraya. She gave a nod.

Rudra was driving through the crowded streets of the city as raindrops pelted the windscreen. With the exception of the radio playing songs, there was a quiet between them.

Miraya's gaze abruptly shifted as a song began. She was grinning ear to ear as the first beats began playing and was glancing outside the car and lost in the rain. 'Ek ladki bheegi bhaagi si' was the tune that Ruhaan noticed was playing. He observed how the song had entirely altered Miraya's mood. She was singing along to the music and was enjoying it. He observed her smiling and the way her shoulders moved as she tapped her feet to the music. She could not have gone unnoticed. Even just having her there made him smile. He felt something but couldn't put his finger on what it was.

He questioned after the song ended, "So, you like Bollywood music?"

"I love it. There is nothing better than a playful yet romantic tune. The best songs in that genre are by Kishore Kumar", she exclaimed, turning to face him with delight.

"I concur. These old-time songs have a certain charm. I was forced to listen to them by my father as a child, but I grew up to like them so much."

"My grandfather used to have those vintage gramophones. He used to have music playing nonstop in his room. The gramophone and those records were his prized possessions." Miraya reflected on her days with her dadu, "He never let anyone even touch them, except for me."

"Wow, that's incredible. Why did you say 'used to'?", Ruhaan inquired, cocking his head to examine her look, "Did it break?".

She answered, her voice breaking, "No, it's still in his room, but he's not there anymore."

"Oh my God, I'm sorry." Ruhaan empathetically said, "I didn't know", and handed her some water.

"No, it's okay", she said as she sipped from the bottle. "It's merely kept in his room because I didn't have the heart to play it again after his passing. Dadi has held onto it up to this date."

She quickly brushed away a tear that had just fallen from her eye, but Ruhaan had already stopped the car. To comfort her, he went on to hold her hand. He had no idea what she must be going through. They remained in that position for a while before she responded, "I'm okay. Thank you."

"Are you certain? Have some water. I have no idea how you must be feeling at this moment." He pulled his hand away from hers and murmured, "I'm sorry I brought up this subject."

"No, everything is okay. Speaking about him is difficult. This is one of my most treasured memories of him, because he passed away when I was a young child. In fact, that's the only distinct memory I have of him", she continued, clearing her throat as she attempted to remain composed.

With a comforting smile, Ruhaan exclaimed, "I'm sure wherever he is, he is watching you and he wouldn't like seeing you like this. Maybe the best way to cherish his memories is to relive them again. He's always there with you and blessing you." He then restarted the car's engine.

She nodded while smiling. The remainder of the drive was quiet. The sound of the rain was the only thing audible.

.

.

.

As the last raindrop fell, the air felt cool and invigorating, carrying with it the unmistakable scent of gilli mitti that enveloped everything in a refreshing embrace. Right in front of the temple entrance, the car came to a stop.