Kya hai yeh maajara ?

Just as Miraya entered the home, she heard laughter. She always dreaded that laugh. it was the person more than the laugh. The housekeeper, Suresh, was hurrying into the living room with a tray of snacks and tea. He gave her one look, and she immediately understood who had honored her house today. She inhaled deeply a few times and prepared herself for what was about to happen.

"Miru! aa gyi." As she stuffed a samosa into her mouth, Miraya's aunt Chanda questioned, "Aaj itni jaldi kese?" (you're here, how come so early today?)

Miraya addressed her aunt with a smile while remaining composed, "Ji bua! Aaj zada kaam nahi tha." (yes aunt. There wasn't much work today.)

When Miraya turned to look, she saw her uncle Ajay speaking with Vivek and Vinod. He observed her speaking with Chanda and interjected, "Dekho kaun aaya! Humse to mili hi ni." her face lit up on seeing him. She approached him and gave him a tight hug. (look who's here and she didn't even meet me)

"Fufaji! aapse hii milne aa ri thi mien. Kese ho aap?" (uncle, I was just coming to meet you)

"mien acha hu bache, tu bta?" (I'm well. You tell me child?)

"First class," said Miraya smiling ear to ear.

Rolling her eyes, Chanda replied, "Sorry to interrupt the perfect teeth convention, but we were talking about something important here."

Ajay apologized to Chanda while lowering his head in jest and giving Miraya a wink. She imitated him, giggling while keeping a finger to her lips.

"Haan to mien keh ri thi maa, let's start thinking about her wedding right away. Iss ghar mn aur bhi to ladkiyan hain. Sabka dekhna hai hume to." (As I was saying mom. There are other girls in this house. We've to think about them too)

"Han sahi hai.  Miraya has agreed to meet the guy and his family. Then, we'll see," her Dadi remarked. (you're right)

"There is no denying the boy's greatness. However, there might be an issue."

"What issue are you talking about Jiji?", Kiran inquired in astonishment.

Chanda simply turned to face Miraya, gave her a sidelong glance, and raised her hand as if to state the obvious.

Miraya immediately grasped what her aunt was getting at, but she remained silent. Others weren't sure what Chanda was even referring to.

"She needs to shed a few kilos. If she continues to appear like this, no one will agree to marry her", Chanda remarked softly, sounding as though she were truly worried about Miraya.

"Chanda, our Miraya is very lovely. Only the luckiest guy in the world will be fortunate enough to marry her", Vivek asserted, standing up for his daughter.

"Bhaia, aap to bolo hi mat. Vese bhi apko to kabhi koi burai dikhti hi nahi hai apni pyaari beti mn. Mien bua hu iski. Iska bura thodi na chahti hu." (please brother. You should not be saying anything. You don't find any faults in your darling daughter. I'm her aunt and I don't want anything bad for her)

Turning towards Miraya she said, "You take my advice and begin dieting the same way I do. See, I've lost so much weight."

It was as if she was shooting daggers at Miraya's heart. Chanda used to target her by bringing up her weight because she was aware of Miraya's weak point. Miraya was barely able to stand still in the middle of the room, struggling to hold back her tears, with her face downcast, and her smile gone.

"She looks exactly the same" Ajay remarked in a quiet voice that only Miraya could hear, "Maybe even put on a kilo or two."

She smiled at him softly. He was one of the few people in her life who had consistently shown support and appreciation for her. They were quite close. In actuality, everyone was aware that Miraya was closer to her uncle than her aunt.