Chapter Forty Nine

Lyra

My phone lit up with a text around ten at night. I was getting ready for bed, applying my skincare. We had been up early to go to the water park and stayed there almost the entire day. It was an early night for everyone.

Lilian: Calling soon.

Today was our father's birthday. December Twentieth. I had texted her earlier and we had talked a bit but she wanted to call later.

I suspect she would be drunk.

So I prepared myself for the worst she may say to me.

I knew she blamed me for his death. I couldn't change her mind.

When she called, I let out a breath and answered it. "Hey, Lil. How are you?"

"I've been a wreck the entire day."

"I'm sorry. Are you having fun on your vacation?"

"It would be a lot better if dad was here."

The stung, cutting deep.

"I understand how you feel-"

"No you don't, they never really liked you. They had to love you. They didn't have to like you. You don't know how it feels to lose someone like this. You caused this." She slurred her words before I heard her gulp something down.

"You need to stop drinking."

"I almost waited to call the paramedics. I called right away, you know. While I got you out of the tub. I had to make the calls because you decided to slash your wrists and take a handful of pills. Your life isn't that bad, Lyra. We can't help you're a freak."

"You should get some water and something to eat. Where's Alec?"

"Don't worry about him. He's always on your side anyway. Someone always protects you. You had such an easy life." There was some banging in the back and Alec calling her name. "Shut up, Alec! I'm on the phone."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this to happen."

"It would have been better for everyone if it was you."

My stomach turned. "I'm so sorry. I never meant for this."

Before she started again, I told her that I loved her and to feel better in the morning.

"I wish it was you!"

I clicked end and tossed my phone on the bed. I hadn't realised I had been crying until I pulled my legs close to my chest and buried my face in my knees.

I let out a loud sob as my heart hurt. My heart hurt for her. I lost Bridgette. My parents were that for her. She was so close to them. She was their pride and joy.

Maybe she wasn't wrong. Maybe if she hadn't gotten home then, our parents would be here.

Not me.

My father would have celebrated another birthday instead of me. Maybe Lil was right.
It hurt so much to think about, all of it. To think about Bridgette.

Why I tried to end my life. It hurt and brought back so much pain.

I didn't want to think about it any longer. I would go crazy.

I changed quickly into black leggings and  a t-shirt. 

Within a few seconds of knocking on the door, River opened it. His curls were damp while he wore shorts and a t-shirt. He smelled good.

I needed this boy to distract me. I was desperate.

"Hey." He stepped aside, letting me through the doorway.