Chapter Sixty Three

Lyra

The next week, I spent every night with River.
Every night. Every lunch. Every break. Every day.

My tolerance for him seemed to increase as our relationship seemed to change.

He was different than I expected him to be at school. He was touchy, he was always touching me. Always have his hands on me in some way.

We were basically friends with benefits, but he didn't hide that.

I willingly wanted to be around him all the time. I wanted to hang out with him.

He made me feel different...safe sometimes. He listened to me, he opened up to me and trusted me.

I only wish I was able to feel the same. With anyone.

I wondered what it may feel like to tell someone...to have someone know my secret. Though all the times I've thought about it, I remembered what happens once I let that slip. He wouldn't ever look at me the same, none of them would.

I doubt they'd hardly believe any of it either. They had no reason to.

He was beloved, cherished here. He made an impact on people and the school. As shitty and awful as he was, I was the only one who knew that side. I caused it.

There's a light that lights up in everyone's eyes whenever anyone mentions him.

Two of the three people who knew are dead, leaving me. I am not worth ruining his image and memories.

Lilian didn't deserve that, it was already my fault she didn't have parents. But I only ever wanted to make her an only child with them. I never wanted to take anyone away from the world, other than myself.

River opened up to me, letting me break down his multiple brick walls he put up to do everyone at bay. He was even touchy around his parents and Ryder.

The past week Miranda and Thomas have invited me to dinner multiple times, already expecting me to be there. They were kind and didn't ask questions, until I had a run in with Miranda one night.

After River's practice, we went bowling with Teddy and Sasha before getting pizza and watching movies in bed.

River had his arm wrapped around me as we watched one of the Star Wars movies. I had my head on his bare chest, while he played with my hair or traced circles on my back with his finger.

I kissed his chest before looking up at him. "Do you have ice cream?"

His gaze dropped to me as he tucked my hair behind my ear. "At least twenty different flavours. Let's go get some."

"Really?"

He kissed me before getting up and getting something from his closet. He was in a pair of shorts and had a t-shirt in his hand.

He handed me the shirt before I slipped it on. It was too big on me, pooling at my sides.
It was a black shirt with our school name on the front and River's number on the back.

I was definitely going to have to take this shirt home. It was so warm and smelled just like him. It made me feel...warm inside.

He grabbed my hand and twirled me around. "So incredibly sexy. You have full access to my wardrobe."

I grinned, standing on my tip toes and kissing him.

He kissed me back, wrapping his arms around my waist.

Before we ventured downstairs, he also grabbed a pair of boxers for me to wear. Considering he ripped my favourite pair of panties tonight.

River flipped on the kitchen light as the microwave clock read 11:57.