Chapter 44

All my life, I tried to fit into the world that was shaped and the path that was paved for me. Even though from the very start, life wasn't that easy and wasn't in favor of me.

To live up to the expectations of others especially my own father, to not disappoint him. Gawin ang lahat para sa ikaliligaya ng aking ama at ng mga taong nakapaligid sa akin, kahit pa nga ibigay ang aking buhay para lamang sa ikakasiya nito.

Pero nang marinig ko ang mga salitang iyon mula kay Heinrich Schmidt, nagkaroon ako pagdadalawang isip..

Was it worth it to to risk everything for our family, our legacy?

"Your breakfast," marahan niyang wika, while showing the food on the bedside table.

Tumuon sa kanya ang aking mga mata. "I'm not hungry," I faced the other way, evading his gaze.

"And here I thought you were the smartest,"

"And here I thought I made a deal." malamig kong tugon.

"Well, a deal is a deal. But my master wants an assurance."

"So he lied." I coldly faced him. We stared at each other for a few seconds before his foreign orbs glinted.

"I'll take my part of the deal, but.. you must do what I say. And now, I want you to eat. An empty stomach will not get you anywhere nor to the tip of your plan." he said seriously.

I sighed and pushed myself up from the bed and started stuffing my mouth with food. Sa sitwasyon ko ngayon wala nga naman ako sa posisyon para mag demand. Kaya naman minabuti kong gawin ang dapat. Work smart, not hard.

"Not him," I murmured as I saw a familiar face. Hindi siya sa pamilyar lang kundi dahil hindi ko talaga siya nagustuhan kahit kailan. "So the idiot himself found a sanctuary here." hindi na ako nagtaka dahil isa naman talagang traydor ang isang iyon.

"He's here to attend the meeting," Veyron Sinclair said when his eyes followed my line of sight.

"I'm not asking."

We continued to his car and now we're about to leave for this event. Tahimik kami sa buong byahe at hindi rin naman nagtagal ang naging byahe namin, wala pang isang oras nakarating na kami kung saan gaganapin ang party.

Veryron Sinclair went out first and offered his hand to me. I took a deep breath and accepted it.

I was wearing a black long dress while he wore a black suit, definitely not matching mine.

No media. That's the first thing I noticed as soon as we arrived at the premises. Pero ang mga tauhan at miyembro ng Cosa nagkalat mula labas at loob ng hotel.

My eyes wandered and searched for him but failed. Mukhang wala pa rito ang isang iyon. The usherette showed us the way to our table which we followed silently.

For the first time after a month, ngayon lang ulit ako nakalabas at kahit pa may bantay, mas nakakahinga na rin ako ng maayos kumpara sa villa ni Heinrich Schmidt.

"Thank you," Veyron Sinclair thanked the usherette habang ako tahimik lamang naupo. Naka krus ang mga braso at binti habang nagmamatyag sa buong kapaligiran.

I subtly checked my wrist watch, it's almost the start of the auction pero hindi ko man lang namataan sina uncle Amer, Storm or even that man. I sure saw their names as participants or guests of this event but I didn't see them even a glimpse of their men.

Nag umpisa na ang event, they bade for the items but my turn wasn't yet. Kailangan ko lang magbid sa last part for the certain service.

"And now we're heading to the highlight, the most important part of this auction. Ladies and gentlemen, we are open for the spot of the hosting for the country's most anticipated competition, the Schwarze Spiele!" the host said and I cleared my throat. Dahil ito na ang hinihintay ko.