PROBLEMS

After a week with my family, I head back to my place to get started on a new project. It was a government request that I loved.

I also made weapons for private companies and organizations, and they paid pretty decently as well.

Once I walked down the stairs of my basement, I went to the back area. I entered my code and waited for the door to scan my eye, then open.

"What a beauty."

I had the framework already done for the atomic fire missile. She was set to have all trimming ready for whatever enemy comes her way. I haven't added the nuclear energy yet. That will be done in the government laboratory.

It seemed like the hours passed quickly while being so focused on my work. This was my passion, and I can go for days without human contact or rest.

My mother was absolutely against that...so I make sure I take breaks. I'm definitely not trying to piss the queen off.

My phone buzzed. I answered, then pressed the speaker icon.

"What's up?"

"Mr. Arquette, it's hard getting in touch with you, young man."

It was my grandmother, Estelle.

"Hey, Gran. How have you been?"

"I've been well, considering my grandchildren don't visit me."

She started with the guilt trip as usual. The last time Ares and I visited, she had a few female werewolves there for dinner. We were unaware that we were being set up on dates.

"Gran, I was there before I left for Ecstasia."

"You're right, but your brother hasn't visited in over a month."

"You ambushed us with a bunch of werewolves and tried to get us to become alpha of one of their packs."

"Gabriel, you and Ares are so out of touch with your roots. You have no clue what pack life is like."

"Because we don't want to be Alphas."

"You're ashamed of your bloodline."

I sighed. "That is not true, Gran."

"Have either of you ever turned?"

Her question threw me off guard because it never crossed my mind to turn into my werewolf form ever. I had no instincts, desire, or connection to the part of me.

"I've thought about it." I lied.

"Ugh, you lie like your father."

I chuckled at her words. I truly did wish I had more time with Victor. Even though I heard he and Uncle Yannis did some foul things to my mom, she still spoke highly of my dad.

"Gran, do you have free time next Sunday?"

"I don't know. Let me check my calendar."

I laughed. "Oh, okay."

"It looks like I'm free that day."

"Then I will see you next Sunday."

"I would really like that and tell your brother he is welcome to join."

I smiled. "I sure will."

We hung up, and I decided to take a break. I went upstairs into the kitchen to heat up some leftovers.

DING DONG

I went to my door and opened it. There was a package sitting on the outdoor welcome mat. My eyes looked around, then back at it.