COSIGN

A week has passed since Imani was brought back home. Even though the queen killed Celeste, we were still on high alert.

Once Imani gets her rest and fully recovers, my mother is putting her through training to cultivate her powers. We won't rest until we know our little princess can protect herself.

Today, I had plans to take Camille out on a date. But first I had to speak to my mother.

My realization of Camille being my mate made me a little nervous about my mother's reaction. I could tell that she adored her and really cared for her well-being.

"Hello, son."

Euphoria sat near the fireplace in the library. I kissed her cheek, then took a seat across from her.

She offered me some tea but I declined.

"Mother, I need to tell you something."

"Okay, I'm listening."

"I've found my mate."

Her smile was instant. "Oh, that's great news, Ethan! Where is she from?"

"Here..."

"That's even better. I would love to meet her."

"Well... you already have."

Confusion was on her face, which I expected. My mother put her tea down and focused on me. Even as a grown man, her serious stare still made me a little nervous.

"Who is she, Ethan?"

"Camille."

"Who?"

"One of your servants...Camille."

Her eyes widened. "Oh!"

"I know this seems abrupt, but I just found out not too long ago."

"Does she know?"

"We've talked a few times."

My mother looked concerned.

"Is there something wrong?"

"No, it's just that...Camille is so young with no knowledge of the things we've experienced out there in the world. She reminds me of myself when I was her age. So hopeful and optimistic."

I gave a soft smile at the thought of marrying Camille. Protecting and taking care of her.

"Has she ever been abused?"

My mother's eyes were now glossed. "Yes, she has."

My heart broke at her words.

"Her mother died giving birth to her, and her father remarried when she was young. Her father and stepmother became very abusive, and she was taken by her grandmother."

My mother sipped some of her tea, then continued.

"Her grandmother passed away when she was 11. She was sent to the children's home. Camille doesn't talk about that...it's like she erased it from her memory. I only knew because the director of the children's home told me."

There were always horrible backstories of the servants that worked here. I felt sad for Camille and wished that wasn't her experience.

"But she doesn't let that take over her life. She lives every day in gratefulness and joy. You would never know that she suffered so much."

"Yeah...she's amazing."

"So, you've spent time together?"

"A lot of time. But I'm taking things slow with her.