QUESTIONS

I know my mother had no ill intentions announcing April's pregnancy. She probably thought we were trying to hide it from her.

April and I have known each other for seven years. She was part of another pack when I met her but we always stayed friends. All the bullshit I've endured during the years, April was there to help me get through.

Because I am the son of the cold-hearted billionaire, Nathan Spear, many judged me before meeting me. My father is very respected but mostly feared, so I get it.

The fact that I resembled him didn't help much either.

April was my best friend and the only one I trusted outside of my family. We are neither each other's mate, but I don't really subscribe to that ideal of fated mates.

I've been with other women but never went any further than hook-ups and one night stands.

Four years ago, when I became Alpha of my own pack, April was the logical person for me to have as my partner. I told her that I understood if she wanted to wait for her fated mate, but she was eagerly on board with us being together.

Things were good with us. She fit in perfectly as my partner and was respected by the current and incoming members of our pack.

The fact that she is pregnant with someone else's child is disappointing, but I'm not surprised. I'm partly to blame for trying to make a full blooded female werewolf, my partner.

After what happened at dinner, I had to go to my room and think. Like I expected, I heard a knock on the door.

"Ethan, can I talk to you?"

Hearing April's voice didn't cause me anger. It actually still calmed me. She was still my best friend.

"Yeah, come in."

April walked in with hesitation. She pushed some of her ginger hair behind her right ear like she always does when she's nervous.

"I want to apologize for not telling you I was pregnant."

"No, you should apologize for not informing me that you were seeing someone else."

"He's not just someone else. He's my fated mate and..."

"Which is more of a reason to tell me. I understand werewolf nature and know that the attraction between mates is hard to deny or control."

"I know. I just... this is different."

"Different how?"

"I still love you, Ethan."

"I love you too."

"You do as a friend but not romantically. But I'm in love with you."

I took a deep breath...April was right.

"Yeah, well, it doesn't matter now."

"Maybe Johnny and I would've rejected each other if I had already been claimed."

My brows furrowed. "So you're blaming me?"

April crossed her arms over her chest. "Four years is a long time to be with someone. Why have you never marked or claimed me?"

I stood up, then walked over and stared into her eyes. All the fun times we had, moments we shared and love we made flashed through my thoughts.

"Because deep down inside, I knew this would happen."

My words brought tears to her eyes. I softly kissed her lips, then pulled away.

"Go be with your mate. I'll have my driver take you home."