20) It's Not Over

As we moved throughout the city Newt was getting worse by the second. We set him down so he could have a moment to breathe. There was no point of the serum if he died before he got to it.

"How are you feeling?"I asked.

"Terrible,"He admitted.

"Just hold on to your sanity a little longer. We'll get you there,"I promised.

"You're a bloody hypocrite, you know that?"He joked before going into another coughing fit.

"Yeah, but you have a chance. Fight for it,"I instructed. He just nodded.

"We really need to get going now,"Thomas reminded us. I just nodded as Minho and him supported Newt. As much as I wish I could I could end up hurting him. That's what we're trying to avoid.

They carefully dragged him as Aris was silently assigned to make sure I didn't go bloodthirsty on all of them.

"It's almost over then. Newt gets the cure, you go back to the Safe Haven, and I guess that's the end,"I spoke up as we moved through the back of places to avoid people and gunshots.

"Listen Y/N. I know you had a plan, but what if you-"
"No. There's no cure. It's about Newt, and then the mission is done,"I repeated.

"I know you said that, but I don't want to let you go yet,"He whispered. I didn't have anything to say to this. I was screwed. It's as simple as that.

"You don't have a choice,"I said firmly.

He opened his mouth to protest when the sound of a bomb went off. We all turned around to see buildings go up into flames. This was their idea of a revolution? More death?

"They were supposed to take down WICKED. Not the whole damn city,"Gally remarked.

"Well they are. That means we need to get him through as soon as possible,"I reminded them. "Gally and Minho. You guys focus on the serum. Thomas and Aris will keep an eye on Newt,"I directed.

"And you? What's your role?"He asked quickly so we knew what to do.

"The same as always. Now get to Brenda. We'll handle this,"I promised.

They gave a nod before running faster than I ever thought possible. We dodged everything we could. As planned Thomas and Aris were supporting Newt. I was in the front in case there was anything extra they could miss.

I glanced over to see more people rioting. This was the end of the last city. They would all be their own downfall. Police and WICKED workers were shooting back at civilians. People of all ages, even kids, were involved. All life would be was hell.

Despite this fact I was still in front. Just as I turned my head back to check on the others there was another explosion set off by someone. We all frantically scrambled behind an old car. Except, Newt couldn't do so. They had to practically carry him over.

"We just have to run,"I said in a shaky voice, ignoring my racing heart. On three we all stood up and tried to pretend that there weren't bullets that could strike us any moment now.

Even though I was supposed to be in the front I was hardly hanging on myself. Having two people turning into something worse than monsters wasn't a fate we deserved, but it was happening.

There was something in my throat that made breathing almost impossible resulting in me slowing down. So much so that it took my last bit of energy to get near an untouched building for protection. I put a hand against it and spit up what was blocking my airway. Black, thick blood landed on the pavement. As more crimson clouded my vision I turned my head as best I could to see Thomas and Aris dragging an unconscious Newt.