Soulmates in East Asian folklore

Red string theory

There is a Chinese legend, claiming two people, soulmates, are connected by an invisible red string. These two beings are destined lovers, regardless of time, place, or any other factors. From the thumb of the male to the pinky finger of the female. Heavenly, isn't it, to finally find the other end of the string?

What happens with people whose soulmates are dead? Does the string fades away? Or when they marry with someone else?

Iguro Obanai and Kanroji Mitsuri. Always reminds me of the red string destined lovers. Such a sync between them, as if they were indeed made for each other.

[spoilers ahead]

The panel in which Mitsuri dies in the arms of Obanai, and asks to be his bride when they are reborn. Emotionally not ready for that scene to be animated. I believe they fit more to the trope "soulmates in every dimension" yet the red string theory seems fitting either.

Hanahaki disease

My personal favorite. Hanahaki is a fictional disease where a person suffers from unrequited love and coughs up flower petals which is quite painful. If the other person returns their love the disease is terminated, or the victim will die. Another solution is by surgically removing the flower, yet in this case the victim will forget their romantic feelings ever existed towards their beloved.

Would love to write a story on this one, an angsty one where the surgical procedure takes place and then the other party develops feelings and consecutively Hanahaki.

The moon is beautiful, isn't it?

An equivalent of "I love you." The term was developed by the amazing Natsume Soseki as a euphemism. Isn't it so poetic and beautiful? How the full moon reflects our hidden romantic feelings, when both lovers stare at the same sky. Frankly, wouldn't mind experiencing this trope myself once.

If the answer of the other party is positive, it is recommended to reply with, "I can die happy." Other acceptable answers are "It's true, isn't it?" or "So are you."

And if you want to turn down the other party for whatever reason, answer "Yes but you can't touch it." (Wouldn't recommend it though, too painful to bear.)