Chapter Sixteen

Living in Louisiana again felt right to Abigail, even if she wasn't living with her family

Living in Louisiana again felt right to Abigail, even if she wasn't living with her family. She lived right inside the limits of New Orleans, but she had managed to keep herself and her son off the radar of all the supernatural creatures in New Orleans. She wouldn't be surprised if one of them found her eventually, but for the next few weeks, she planned to stay away.

Well, technically, she wanted to stay away to protect them from everything and anything that could be after them because of her and her son. She didn't know how long that would last, but she hoped that she didn't ruin her entire family happiness by staying away. She missed them, and she knew they missed her and had no idea why she never came home.

Anyhow, while Jack was taking a nap—something he did once or twice a week during the day—Abigail decided to keep up appearances and work on her front yard. She wanted everyone to believe she and Jack were human, and the only way to do that is to do everything herself. She wasn't the best at yardwork, but she was learning a bit each day. She had been living in the new house for a month, and each day she learned something new about yardwork every couple of days.

While she was working on the yard, she heard someone approaching her. She stayed working like any human would, since she could sense that the person approaching was a human. They couldn't hurt her even if they tried, since she was way too fast for them.

"Hey," She heard, causing her to turn around,"I'm your new neighbor, and I, uh, I was wondering if you could point me to the firehouse around here." The man said, giving her a nervous smile.

"Are you a firefighter, or is this your first time?" She asked, raising an eyebrow, as she dusted off her hands.

"I was a firefighter in LA for a couple years, but I decided to move here after some stuff happened," He sighed,"D'you know where the firehouse is?" He asked, and she nodded.

"Depends, which one are you looking for?" She questioned, shrugging her shoulders.

"Engine twenty nine--" He began, but she cut him off.

"The one in the French Quarter," She murmured,"three seventeen Decatur street."

"You go there often or something?" He asked, causing her to chuckle, feeling slightly nervous.

"No, I have the French Quarter practically memorized, I grew up there." She replied, and he nodded.

"Maybe you could show me around some time." He commented, causing her to smile slightly.

"Yeah, maybe." She answered, though she didn't believe herself.

She didn't plan to go into the French Quarter. If she did, she'd be spotted by her family. She was lucky she hadn't been yet, and walking into the French Quarter would definitely get her spotted. This man might have been handsome, and he seemed real sweet, but that didn't mean she'd risk being seen for him—especially not right after meeting him.

"I'm Eric," He stuck his hand out to her,"Eric Chase." He introduced himself, a bright smile on his face.

"Abigail Luna." She replied, deciding to give her middle name like it was her last name.

She didn't want to chance him recognizing her last name. If he happened to hear the last name at all, he'd recognize it, and that would definitely get her family on her tail. She wasn't foolish, and she knew how to stay somewhat hidden.

"That's such a New Orleans name," He joked, causing her to raise an eyebrow,"I did some research on New Orleans, and there was so many unique names and places here," He answered,"Also, I hope this isn't a dumb question, but like, is the stories about voodoo and monsters here true?" He asked, making her smirk.

"You're in for a wild ride here," She said,"you'll see quite a bit of magic while in New Orleans, especially in the French Quarter."

"And Mardi Gras?" He asked, causing her to laugh.

"You'll have the time of your life. It's definitely something you need to experience once in your life." She replied, giving him a grin.

"Mommy?" The two adults heard, causing them to turn to Abigail's front door.

"I should go," Eric commented,"thanks for the help."

"No problem." Abigail answered, before she headed to her son.

She could tell that Eric was upset when he seen Jack. She figured that he thought she was a regular, single girl that lived next to him. He was somewhat right, she was single, but seeing a kid, he probably thought otherwise. She didn't care, she wasn't exactly looking for a boyfriend. He was handsome though, and she was a little disappointed that he left when he seen Jack.

"Who was that?" Jack asked, looking at his mother with curious eyes.

"Our new neighbor. His name is Eric." She replied, as she lead her son back inside.

"He like us?" Jack asked, causing her to shake her head.

"He's human, maybe moreso that the Winchesters. He doesn't know about the supernatural world, so try to keep it to the bare minimum when outside." She said, and he nodded.

Jack was a very smart toddler, but that was definitely because he was not human. If he was human, he'd most likely be more childish and playful. Abigail didn't mind, she loved her little boy the way he was. He was perfect, and nothing he did would change her mind.

"Mommy, when I see Papa?" Jack asked, looking at her with puppy eyes.

"One day, baby. Papa will be so happy to meet you. I know he'll love you." Abigail said, giving her little boy a kiss on the forehead.

Abigail was constantly telling Jack stories about her father and the rest of her family. Jack wanted to meet them so bad, but she was scared to put them in danger. One day she'd have to get over that fear though, she just didn't know when that would happen. She hoped she'd finally get over the fear soon, otherwise she'd have to deal with the guilt of staying away from her family and keeping secrets...