8. the breakdown.

Yudhishtira stared at the sky from his balcony.

He had a hectic day.

The day after tomorrow, the king would announce the Yuvaraja of Hastinapur.

Yes, he had all the rights to be the king.

Yes, it was true he favoured dharma.

Yes, it was true that he was the eldest of all.

But he knew him being the king would have several consequences.

Gandharraj, he knew, was trying his level best to make his nephew, Duryodhana, the crown prince.

He had no oppositions to that.

They were just forest dwellers.

When he had first stepped into Hastinapur with his mata and bratas after his father's demise.

His eyes welled up with tears as he remembered that cruel memory that haunted him throughout most nights.

He had to hide everything, everything for his brothers.

He had to be their father, their big brother, their pillar of support.

So he'd hide all his emotions for them...

He determinedly walked back to his bed chambers and plopped down on the bed.

He had tried to sleep, but it seemed Nidra Devi had decided not to embrace him that night.

He got up and walked out of his room to check on his brothers.

They slept together, always... but today, he didn't have the mind to sleep with them.

He made reasons of being ill, and so they left him alone.

He came into their common chamber and saw a heart-touching sight.

Arjun hugged Nakul and Sahadev close to his chest as he lay over Bhim's chest, who wrapped his arms around Arjun.

They were so peacefully sleeping that Yudhishtira could not help but smile.

He was grateful to have such loyal and faithful, loving and gentle brothers as his siblings.

He walked out of the room to the royal gardens.

As he entered, the familiar smell of sandalwood filled his senses.

He knew that smell and whose it was.

Vasudev Krishna.

He, though, didn't have a mood to meet anyone right now.

He came out of the gardens and went to his pitamaha's room.

Just simply like, if he was not able to sleep, he'd go there and talk with his pitamaha Bhishma.

He reached the door of his pitamaha and stopped as he heard hushed voices coming out of the room.

He had not had the habit of eavesdropping.

But, curiosity got the best of him.

He listened closely as he recognized the voices.

One of his pitamaha and the other of uncle Vidura.

"Listen, tatshri. We must make Yudhishtira the king no matter what. Duryodhana won't suit the throne and there would be real ruckus in the lands. You know, tatshri. He is no good omen for our country."

Vidura's voice whispered, "Vidura, you are wise and know the consequences."

"Yudhishtira being the king would have several consequences."