8.

The next morning, Kevin, Tony, Vienna, Lark, and Anais were hanging out together at the pizza place across the street from the school. The place where they usually go when they get out early. They were still trying to get Lark's memory straight in order to get her life back on track. Everyone orders their pizzas and Vienna says, "Is Jacob okay?"

Kevin says, "I talked to him last night, he's still very upset over Roman. He even said that he's been dreaming of her."

"I know that this is a bad time, but who's Roman and Jacob", asked Lark.

"Roman is our nickname for Romania. Jacob is her boyfriend and his and her family are too sad to think about anything else but her. Even her little brother Raymond misses her."

"Oh"

Tony said, "You're so lucky that you don't remember a thing."

"Really", shouted Kevin.

"I mean, think about it. If someone you knew just died, just think about how hurt would you feel. If you don't even remember that person then you won't feel as much pain."

"I can't believe I'm saying this but Tony's actually right."

"So, uh, Kevin. Are you free next Saturday", asked Lark.

Unsure, he said, "Uh.... I think so, why?"

"I was just wondering if you want to see 'Snow White and the Huntsman' with me."

He thinks, Is she for real? But I can't just dwell on the past forever and Lark lost her memory.  Either way, I can't say no to her, plus, Roman has been waiting for this moment. "That movie's pretty interesting. Sure, I'll go."

Ecstatic, she said, "Okay, um... so here's my number, so let me know if anything comes up, okay?"

"Sure." As she happily leaves for a second, Kevin said, "Lark may be different now, but she's still kind of cool." 

"Believe me, she's been wanting to do that for some time now", said Vienna.

"What?"

"Never mind."

        "For real, what was that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing. Never mind."

"Yeah, it was best if you found out for yourself, anyways", said Anais.

When Lark came back, she said, "Uhm, Anais, Verona?"

"Vienna", said Vienna.

"Uhm you guys might want to check this out."

When all the girls went to the bathroom, they found a girl with her neck broken, she was bleeding where her neck was broken. Plus, the girl was in the bathroom stall and had broken beer bottle particles where her forehead is. "Vienna, am I imagining this?", said Anais. Vienna then shook her head in both disbelief and verifying Anais' question.

"And look, it says on the stall, 'long live the queen bitch!' in hot pink lipstick", said Vienna

Lark said, "I already called the police."

"Great idea but, the funny thing is that we already know her. She was one of the girls that Brittany hang out with. Well, one of her ex-friends."

"I know, that's what I said-- Wait, you mean to tell me that this Brittany girl killed her?" Vienna and Anais nodded.

"But the bigger question is, 'Why did she die?'"

The girls left shaking their heads in total shock. Kevin says, "Uh, e-everything okay?"

"Peachy."

"Does anyone here know Dawne", asked Vienna.

"Yeah, she's in my homeroom", replied Tony.

"And in my algebra class", added Kevin. "Why?"

"I found her murdered", said Lark.

Anais yelled out, "Which is so weird because Dawne and Brittany don't even talk! I swear, who's going to die next, Veronica?!"

Sirens blare across the street from the pizza place. Tony says, "I know that this is a bad time, but who called the cops?"

Lark said, "I did."

"Why the fuck would  you do that?!"

"It's the right thing to do."

"No, they're going to blame the whole thing on us, thanks to you!"

"I was trying to help."

"No one asked you to help, dammit! Ever since you lost your memory, all you've been was fucking useless! Why don't you just go home?!" Tears welled up in Lark's eyes and she ran away.

"Lark! Come back!" said Kevin. Then he seethed, "Tony........ YOU BASTARD!" That's when they started to trade blows and then Tony got a black eye and two bruises on his right cheek. Kevin didn't even have a scratch but he was almost slammed into the wall. Tony missed and he was lifted up and thrown on the floor. "So, you have the balls to call Lark useless, but don't have enough to fight me, huh, you scrawny fuck?" Then, Anais, Vienna, Lance, and Officer Kentley broke up the fight.

Lance said, "What the hell is going on with you two?"

"Kevin called me a bastard."

"Tony called Lark useless for calling the cops after seeing Dawne dead. Then Lark was crying and leaving; she probably went home."

"What the fuck?! Dawne died, too", yelled Lance, but he was more upset when he found out that Tony made Lark cry. He knew that he had to save his anger for Tony.

Kentley said, "Where is the dead girl, anyways?"

"Girls' bathroom", said Anais. And then he was led there by Vienna and Anais.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy reeading!

~EM