19- Boy in Love

The windows snapped together as the wind danced through the streets, and it made loud noises. The owls were singing a nighttime lullaby which was supposed to sound sweet, but to Taehyun, it was everything but a lullaby.

He grabbed his blanket and teddy bear and walked out of his room in soundless steps, the blanket following behind him like a bride's dress.

He couldn't blink an eye, not with the constant voices that were haunting him at least.

His steps halted as he came near a room, he paused a second before knocking on the door, slowly at first but loud and fast later. He looked behind him, there was a shadow with narrow eyes, it was looking straight through his soul.

'Come on, come on, please open the door' he said to himself, knocking rapidly until the door clicked open with a big, tall presence standing next to it.

"What are you doing here? Go back to sleep! I was just sleeping and you had to interrupt it" The woman scolded him, looking down.

"I can't sleep, there- there are voices that are scaring me, can I sleep with you tonight? Please?" he pleaded with big, innocent eyes, his blanket still in his hold and his teddy bear on the other hand.

"You are old enough to sleep on your own, Taehyun. Don't you think sleeping with someone else at four years old is too childish? You need to start acting like a grown up."

"Mother, please. I can't sleep alone. My room is scary and there are monsters that look at me all night, please..." he begged, tears running down his face. If he wasn't scared, he would not have asked her to sleep with him.

"Stop crying!! You are not a fucking kid! And stop calling me 'Mother' " she yelled, holding Taehyun's wrist and dragging him inside the room.

"But, aren't you my mom? You raised me, didn't you" he cried as she landed a slap on his face, hard enough for it to leave a mark.

"You do NOT have a fucking mother! She left you because you are a disgrace, I would have left you too if you were my kid."

Taehyun would not be surprised if the neighbors heard his cries as the next 30 or so minutes were filled with hard slaps and brutal words, degrading words and his cries for forgiveness.

He rubbed his hands together in a pleading manner, stuttering while asking her to stop, that he will go back to his room and not make a noise.

"Now go to sleep and don't dare to make a noise you brat" she kicked him out of the room, yelling those words after.

Taehyun found himself curled up on his bed while he held his ears, asking them to go back and stop messing with him. His clothes were covered with tears by now.

He doesn't exactly know when the voices found their way in and separated him from the rest of the world, making him feel different than others, but he knows that it was not the end, it was just the start.

It was starting to become impossible for him to breathe, something was choking him and...

"Taehyun!"

"Taehyun!"

"TAEHYUN!"

Taehyun jumped from the bed, panting heavily while his face was covered with the crystals of his tears, he held his chest as he coughed.

"Are you alright? You were screaming and crying in your sleep, did you have a nightmare?" Beomgyu pulled him in a hug, rubbing soothing circles on his back with one hand and patting his head with the other.

"Hyung, he was just a kid, why was the world so cruel to him?"

Beomgyu looked at him with a confused look on his face, what is he even talking about?