Chapter 36 - Realization

Rielle's POV:

Belle, my secretary, came into my office after signaling her to join me. She greeted me with a warm smile, but the furrow in my brow must have betrayed my anxiety.

"Have a seat," I said, my voice edged with tension. I took a moment, gathering my thoughts before diving into the unsettling topic at hand.

"I just got off the phone with our auditors," I began, the words hanging heavily in the air. "They're going to conduct an accounting audit, and they want every report available for the past two fiscal years. You know how crucial this is for our company."

A flicker of concern crossed Belle's face as she processed the information. "Oh, ma'am. That's... unexpected. But we've always maintained accurate records. I'm sure everything will be fine."

I ran a hand through my hair, the stress evident in every line of my face. "I know we've been meticulous, but audits are audits. They unearth things we might have missed or areas that need improvement. We can't afford any discrepancies. I need you to gather every financial report, transaction record, and ledger we have for the last two years. We can't leave any stone unturned."

She nodded, her eyes reflecting a mix of understanding and sympathy. "I'll get right on it, ma'am. You can count on me. We'll make sure we have everything they need."

I sighed, realizing the gravity of the situation. "Thank you, Belle. I appreciate your dedication. We need to be proactive about this. I'll schedule a meeting with the finance team. Let's review everything together and address any potential issues before the auditors even set foot in the building."

As she left my office to begin the arduous task of collecting the necessary documents, I stared at the city skyline beyond my window. The challenge ahead was daunting, but I couldn't afford to let it consume me. With a deep breath, I began formulating a plan—a strategy to ensure that every financial detail was not just accounted for but presented in a way that would withstand the scrutiny of the auditors.

The road ahead was uncertain, but I was determined to navigate it with precision and resilience. There was no room for error, and I was ready to face the challenges head-on to safeguard the integrity of Sinclair's company.

After everything that happened. Heto't mayroon na naman akong kailangang pagtuunan ng pansin. I just can't let this company be tainted by the audit.

I was thinking about it when my phone flashed in front of me. I saw Elix's picture as my wallpaper. My beloved wife. Ilang linggo ko na ba siyang iniiwasan dahil sa sakit na patuloy ko pa ring nararamdaman magpasa hanggang ngayon. It's tearing me apart, di rin ako umuwi sa condo.

It's just a kiss, but the knowledge that she responded to it keeps gnawing at me, haunting my thoughts. She tried to talk to me so many times already but I didn't give her a chance to explain herself. I'm still not ready to talk to her. I just need time, di ko kasi alam kung anong pwede kong mapag desisyunan pag wala sa huwisyo ang isip ko. But one thing is for sure, I really miss her...

"Ma'am, someone is looking for you." I heard the intercom, it was my secretary.

"Who?"

"Ms. Shayne is looking for you."

"Let her in."

Shayne got in my office and walked towards the chair in front of me. The atmosphere was tense, an unspoken weight hanging in the air.

"What brings you here?" I greeted her, trying to sound casual. Sumandal ako sa swivel chair crossing my legs.

Shayne took a deep breath before responding, "We need to talk, Rielle. It's about you and Elix."

My expression shifted, a mix of curiosity and anxiety. "What about us?"

"Rielle, you've been avoiding Elix for weeks now. It's not healthy for either of you." buntong hininga niyang sambit.

"I don't think you have anything to do about it."

Shayne leaned forward, her eyes pleading. "It wasn't Elix's fault. It was mine. I kissed her. I made a mistake."

Mapakla akong ngumiti. Ang sarap niyang sampalin. She knew that Elix has a wife and yet she kissed her na parang wala siyang pakialam sa nangyari.

Shayne ran a hand through her hair, a hint of regret in her eyes. "It was a moment of weakness, Rielle. Elix didn't mean to reciprocate it. She loves you, not me. You can't keep blaming her for something I initiated."

"I should have spoken to you earlier, but I wanted to give Elix an opportunity to explain herself first," Shayne confessed. "She's been really hard on herself about this. She sees me only as a friend. It's you she truly loves."

I nervously bit my lower lip, admitting, "I can't shake that image from my mind. It feels like a betrayal."

Shayne confronted me, her tone cutting, "And what about you, Rielle? Remember that fling you had back then? I witnessed you kissing someone else. Have you ever considered how Elix felt when you hooked up with that person at the bar? She cried endlessly because of that!"

I was taken aback by her words. "What are you talking about?"

Shayne asserted, "You heard me right. I called her that night to find out what was happening and why you were with someone else. Want to know what she told me? She said it was you who suggested having a fling, and it nearly broke her."

I swallowed hard, absorbing the revelation. It was a time when Elix hadn't yet confirmed her love for me. Why was I learning about this now?

"She kept asking if she wasn't beautiful enough for you to notice her. Rielle, you have no idea how she felt that night. I witnessed it all. I felt the pain as she cried. But now, you're grappling with just one kiss that she didn't even initiate! It's time to grow up, Rielle. You're better than this."

Shayne's words lingered in the air, a heavy silence settling between us. I sat there, stunned by the unexpected revelation, a knot forming in the pit of my stomach. The weight of my own actions, long buried in the past, now resurfaced in a stark confrontation.

"Why didn't she tell me?" I finally managed to whisper, my voice laced with a mix of guilt and confusion.

Shayne sighed, her expression softening. "She was afraid, Rielle. Afraid of losing you, afraid of facing the truth. She loved you then, just as she loves you now."

My mind raced, trying to process the information. The parallels between our situations were undeniable, and the realization hit me with a force I hadn't expected. I had hurt Elix in a way I never comprehended, and now, history seemed to repeat itself.

"I never knew," I admitted, my eyes welling up with regret.

Shayne leaned forward, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. "We all make mistakes, Rielle. The important thing is to learn from them and not let them destroy the love you share."

Taking a deep breath, I looked up at Shayne, grateful for her honesty, yet burdened by the weight of my own shortcomings. "I need to talk to Elix. I need to make things right."

Shayne nodded in agreement. "It's never too late to make amends. Just remember, forgiveness is a powerful healer, for both of you. I apologize if my actions contributed to this situation."

She stood up and get her chanel bag tsaka na ito lumabas ng tuluyan sa office ko. Naiwan akong nakatulala sa harap ng laptop ko.

I want to see Elix now. God. I can't imagine how her life has been while I'm avoiding her.