6

4 days later
Black Friday, November 24th

BAU

JJ's POV

"Ready for Friendsgiving!" I grab a pot of mashed potatoes and hand it to derek.

The bau is having a small friends giving in the conference room. Emily walks in and she catches my eye. She's wearing a red v neck. She always looks good in red.

"I like that shirt." I say to her. "Thanks, almost spilled my coffee all over it this morning." She says as she grabs some food and helps bring it to the conference room.

Emily and I have started to talk more since the whole thing happened a few days ago. I don't know why I'm still trying to keep my distance from her. All I want to do is be around my best friend right now.

Our friend ship has kinda been hot and cold these last 3 days. One minute I want to talk to her and the next I want nothing to do with her. I don't know why.

I set some more stuff down in the conference room and I go talk to Penelope in her office.

"Hey... can I talk to you?" I ask as I shut the door. "Of course my love!" She pulls a chair out for me. "Did you know that internet chess is a lot easier than actual chess." She says. "That's because they're bots. Did you hack it?" I laugh. "A little. I want to win." She groans.

"Pen I don't know what's going on with me and emily." I say. "You've been being kinda bitchy with her lately." She side eyes me. "I know... and I don't mean to it's just I want her around but I don't want her around."

She turns to me, "are you maybe in denial?" She asks. "Denial of what?" I furrow my eyebrows. "Never mind. Why do you want her around, let's start there." She says.

"She's such a good friend to me, she genuinely cares about me, I feel safe when I'm around her and that i don't have to pretend to be someone I'm not." I say looking down.

"And why don't you want her around?"

"I guess because I feel safe around her... am I just pushing her away because I'm scared of having a friend like her?" I ask. "It sounds like you're scared of commitment." She raises her eyebrows. Almost like she's waiting for me to get what she's saying but I just don't.

"Why would I be scared of being best friends with her? Like I have commitment issues yeah but never with friends. Only with guys I'm attracted to......" I start to say lowering my voice.

"You my friend, are in denial." Pen pats me on the shoulder. "That doesn't make sense tho, denial for what? She is just my friend." "JJ you haven't looked at her the same since you two had the talk in your office the other day, you get excited when she enters a room, your body language changes, it's like you're always trying to empress her. She showed you that she cared, and maybe now some little part of you wants you two to be more than friends..." she says and I sit there in silence.

After a minute or two I speak up, "you think I like emily?" I ask. "Honey.... You know you like emily. You just aren't ready to admit that yet."

"Pen this is bad we work together I can't like her!" I get up and start pacing. "But you do." She whispers. "SHH! No I don't. She just is really nice and caring and I appreciate that. That's all. I don't like her." I walk out and close the door behind me.

Fuck. I think I like Emily.