004

The slammer stood in an obscure place between the Homestead and the north Glade wall, hidden behind thorny, ragged bushes that looked like they hadn't been trimmed in ages

It was a big block of roughly cut concrete, with one tiny, barred window and a wooden door that was locked with a menacing rusty metal latch, like something out of the Dark Ages.

Newt took out a key and opened it up, the. Motioned for the two to enter. "There's only a chair in there and nothin' at all for ya to do. Enjoy yourself."

Thalia groaned inwardly as she stepped inside and saw the one piece of furniture—an ugly, rickety chair with one leg obvious shorter than the rest, probably on purpose. Didn't even have a cushion.

"Have fun," Newt said before closing the door. Thalia turned back to her new home and heard the latch close and the lock click behind them. Newts head appeared at the little glassless window, looking through the bars, a smirk on his face.

"Enjoying yourself?" Thalia asked Newt, crossing her arms.

"Nice reward for breakin' the rules. You saved some lives, Tommy, but ya still need to learn—"

"Yeah, I know. Order." Thomas muttered, and Newt smiled. "Your not half bad, shank. But friends or no, gotta run things properly, keep us nuggets alive. Think about that while ya sit here and stare at the bloody walls."

"It's friends or not-" Thalia was interrupted by a loud slam of a latch, and then Newt was gone.

The first hour passed, and Thalia felt boredom creep in like rats under the door. By hour number two, she wanted to bang her head against the wall.

Two hours after that she started to think having dinner with whoever this Gally guy was and the Grievers, which Newt described horribly, would beat sitting inside that stupid Slammer.

She sat and tried to bring back her memories while she was at it, but every effort evaporated into oblivious mist before anything formed.

Thankfully, Chuck arrived with lunch at noon, relieving Thomas and Thalia from their thoughts.

After passing some pieces of chicken and a glass of water through the window, he took up his what seemed to be usual role of talking Thomas's ear off.

"Everything's getting back to normal," the boy announced. "The Runners are out in the Maze, everyone's working—maybe we'll survive after all."

"Still no sign of Gally—Newt told the Runners to come back lickety-splickety if they found his body. And, oh, yeah—Alby's up and around. Seems fine—and Newt's glad he doesn't have to be the big boss anymore." The boy informed.

The mention of Alby seemed to pull Thomas's attention from his food, and Thalia raised her eyebrows. But Chuck continued talking, taking a completely unexpected turn.