011

Most of them slept outside in normal times, so packing all those bodies into the Homestead made for a tight fit

Most of them slept outside in normal times, so packing all those bodies into the Homestead made for a tight fit. The Keepers had organized and distributed the Gladers throughout the rooms, along with blankets and pillows. Despite the number of people and the chaos of such a change, a disturbing silence hung over the activities, as if no one wanted to draw attention to themselves.

The other Gladers settled themselves, turning in with their pillows and blankets for the impossible task of sleeping. No one said much, the mood somber and grim. All you could hear were quiet shuffles and whispers.

Thalia tried to force herself to sleep, knowing it would make the time pass faster, but after two hours she'd still had no luck. She lay on the floor in one of the upper rooms, on top of s thick blanket, several clothes Gladers crammed in there with her, almost body to body. The bed had gone to Newt.

Thomas had ended up in the same room, but Thalia didn't feel comforted. She was the only girl. She wanted to ask Newt if she could sleep somewhere else, but she knew how much pressure he was in already.

Almost every person had a flashlight by their side in case of emergency. Otherwise, Newt had ordered all lights extinguished despite the pale, deathly glow of their new sky—no sense attracting any more attention that necessary.

Anything that could be done on such a short notice to prepare for a Griever attack had been done: windows boarded up, furniture moved in front of doors, knives handed out as weapons . . .

   But none of that made Thalia feel safe.

She was worried about more than just being alone with boys, the Grievers. Everyone spoke of them as if they were the devil himself.

There was a thump at the window, and then hell began. Gally ran into the homestead, screaming his head off.

"Gally..?" Thomas muttered, sitting up.

Gally looked like he was hyperventilating, stuttering and mumbling everywhere, but soon he made his way to the headboards covering the windows.

He started tearing them apart, the Gladers screaming and shouting him to stop. "Gally stop it!" Newt shouted.

Thomas and Thalia nodded, going up to Gally and grabbing his shoulders to try to get him to stop. "Gally stop, you don't know what you're doing!"

Gally jerked his hands, pulling off the final board. Silence covered the glade for a moment.

"There's no avoiding them." Gally muttered, before a Griever pulled through the window, taking Gally with him.

"Gally!" A acne covered screamed, coming forward.

What do we do?

I don't know.

Everyone runs out of the homestead, Grievers going crazy. "Thalia!" Thomas shouts, she looks over and sees him trying to help Chuck.

"Chuck!" She shouts, running over to them. But she spots another Griever holding Jeff.

"Thalia?" Thomas shouts, but she wasn't listening. She ran to him, as fast as she could. The wind blowing in her face as she sped up to the Griever. "Let him go!" She shouted, throwing a stick at it.

"Uh oh." She said, then began running again as it growled at her.

"THOMAS! HELP!" She shouted, waving her arms as she ran to him again, Thomas had killed another Griever, the one that held Chuck.

"LIA!" He shouted, hitting the Griever with a spear. She breathed out, feeling relief. Until she realized-

"Jeff." She breathed out, whipping around and searching frantically for where he went. "JEFF?!" She shouted, looking around. Silence has covered the glade again, all staring at the ground.

She pushed through people, "oh my god, Jeff." She said, looking at his lifeless body.

She fell to the ground, picking him up in her arms. "Jeff? Jeff, wake up. Jeff?" She muttered, rocking his head in her arms.

Silence.

Lia? Thomas asked.

Thalia stood up, blood on her hands and shirt from Jeff's body. She sniffed then, turned to Thomas, he was looking at a Griever tail.

Thomas.

The venom from the Griever stings helps the victim remember. I can remember, and then find a way out.

"Thomas, Thomas wait-" Thalia muttered but Thomas takes the hacked off tail and stings himself.